Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Dual 1229 question
Dual 1229 question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2017, 04:03 PM   #1
pjblakey is offline pjblakey  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Dual 1229 question

Hi All....
I just picked up a Dual 1229 that is mechanically good and could do with a little TLC.
Anyone familiar with the little attachment on the deck just behind the tonearm support? It is not screwed onto the deck, and looks like there may be a couple of 1/16" thick adhesive pads attaching it. I am not familiar with Dual products-this is my first, and I have not seen one of these things on any other 1229s.
Thanks
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170919_171826_resized.jpg (886.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20170919_171846_resized.jpg (437.5 KB, 175 views)
Old 20th September 2017, 04:10 PM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjblakey View Post
Anyone familiar with the little attachment on the deck just behind the tonearm support?
It's some kind of third party product, like a stylus brush, etc.
Just move the arm out of the way and pull it off. It's held on by adhesive pads.
Old 20th September 2017, 05:03 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Dual 1229 question
My dad had one of these tables until quite recently and this is something someone added. I second the notion to remove.
Old 20th September 2017, 08:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys.
Old 20th September 2017, 08:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thank you guys.
Be sure to remove the headshell before you start working on this.
Old 21st September 2017, 12:10 AM   #6
grimberg is offline grimberg  United States
diyAudio Member

I have owned a Dual 1229, 1229Q, 601 and 701 (still here). None of them had that. I agree with the guesses of it being an after-market accessory.
I would warm it up with a heat gun or hairdryer to soften the adhesive and make it easier to remove.
Old 21st September 2017, 01:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. This is going to be a lengthy project. Currently making a heavy oak plinth and polishing the dust cover after trimming it down to just clear the counterweight. Not interested in stacking lps and the only auto feature I care for is the tonearm return. Just in case I fall asleep.
Old 21st September 2017, 01:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Currently making a heavy oak plinth and polishing the dust cover after trimming it down
to just clear the counterweight.
The counterweight will move backward or forward depending on the weight of the cartridge installed.
If you change the cartridge, the position of the counterweight will likely change.
Old 21st September 2017, 01:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

True. Dual recommendation is to allow 1" beyond the rear of the deck for counterweight clearance. My plinth is made from 1-3/4" x 3-3/4" oak.
Old 21st September 2017, 12:16 PM   #10
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Dual 1229 is a very fine turntable, most probably one of the best idler wheel driven TT's ever made. I love it dearly and own four of them in completely serviced, full functional state and several more just for parting out.

Due to it's delicate mechanics, a complete "TLC" may mean several hours of work. Rather often the motor has become noisy and needs to be relubricated, which means a complete dissassembly in order to get access to the lower shaft bearing. Once opened, I usually swap the upper and the lower bearing and als swap the small metal disc the rotor shaft sits on. Be careful not to crack the shaft while removing the end bells! Hope the speed selector and the so called Multi Selector levels in the left front corner and at the tonearm base, respectively, aren't stuck? Then don't try to force them, as somewhat will (!) break (one of mine had a broken speed lever, due to it's stuck internal mechanism, which I had to replace by the lever and some more components of it's precedessor 1219). Instead service them!

You will find the original Dual Service Manual and some more helpful hints from others in the WWW.

As yet said, the thing at your pics is a strange item and not original.

Btw, at least according to your pics your 1229 lacks the proprietary Dual TK14 cartridge adaptor which is a black plastic thing that carries the cart and needs to be attached to the headshell by two 45 degrees' moves (first backward, second forward) of the small handle. Here's a picture showing two Shure M75's sitting on Dual TK's. The left one is the TK14 the 1229 originally came with. But the right one, a TK24, will also fit and still can be purchased as NOS from specialized vendors:

Click the image to open in full size.

You really don't need to dissasselble the empty headshell prior to removing your strange thing. Instead, I'd strongly advice you not to try it, as this means some real challenge.

Best regards!

Dual 1229 questionHide this!Advertise here!