Remove riaa stage from cheap phono pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's something strange..

remove both 3.3 nf, then when i remove on only one channel, the 12 nf and i short it (with or without resistor), this channel is perfect (no riaa, right gain).
When I remove the other channel 12nf, on the channel previously ok (no riaa), come back the equalization and more gain.

In the second channel, the are no differences between with or without the 12nf cap

absolutely speculate left to right.
Evidently, the scheme on internet is for only one channle (left); right channel is supposedly litlle different..
this is the back of the pcb (web image, pay no attention at red circles)
2a10.jpg

To remove riaa stage in this cheap chinese pre amp (no schemes here),
do you think that i can remove the blue mkp caps? and bridge the 2 greater
of the three? (one for channel?)

Do you want to convert this to a line amplifier with around 20dB of gain?
If so, one of the two RIAA capacitors in the channel would be removed (the smaller capacitor of the two),
and also the other RIAA capacitor in that channel (the larger capacitor of the two) would be shorted.
This would also short the largest RIAA resistor, so the gain would then be around 40dB and flat.

If you want only 20dB gain, install another resistor where the smaller capacitor was.
The value should be about 0.11 x the value of the RIAA resistor that is still in parallel with it.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Yes I need to use it flat, without riaa equalization
The board have 1 other capacitor besides the smaller and the larger..
What do you think are to remove and to bridge?

Look for marked RIAA capacitor values of roughly 1000pF (sometimes marked 102)
and 3000pF (sometimes marked 302). The values could be somewhat smaller or larger for either, or both.
Ignore any other capacitors, as they have other functions. What flat signal gain do you want?

Joined 2011
I m always user dip8 with my brother pc/account..
The gain, is about the classic gain for a mm cartridge, 30 dB less or more..

If you want a flat gain of 30dB, install an extra resistor in place of the smaller RIAA capacitor.
Value should be about 1/2 of the resistor that is in parallel with it (for 30dB gain).
Without this extra resistor installed, just the smaller capacitor removed, the gain will be ~40dB.
Also short out the larger RIAA capacitor in either case.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.