LesBox MS-23B vs. LittleBear T10 vs. "EAR 834" DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
I want to start a new project and to try what tubes are all about, so I'm thinking of selling my Pro-Ject PhonoBox SE in order to buy-and/or-build a valve phono preamp.

I saw on this forum that the Yaqin MS-23B can be heavily modified thanks to Les Carpenter recommendations, it looks really good to me and I think I could manage to make the tweak.

However, how does it compare sonically to a Little Bear T10?
And to an EAR 834 "inspired" PCB that would be fed by a toroïdal transfo and equiped with good quality caps and tubes (but it would probably amount to a higher budget)?

I didn't have the chance to hear any of these.

Last edited:
EAR834p with good stable linear PSU, Telefunken tubes, high quality caps and silver mica for RIAA network would make a great MM phono. If using MC cartridge, couple a suitable Step up transformer for even greater potential. I've modded the original EAR834P (with MC SUT inside). I reckon the China clone kit pcb is of higher quality than the original pcb which is nothing special. IIRC the original SUT is 10:1 ratio. I've tried Cinemag SUT which works well too.

Last edited:
EAR834p with good stable linear PSU, Telefunken tubes, high quality caps and silver mica for RIAA network would make a great MM phono. If using MC cartridge, couple a suitable Step up transformer for even greater potential. I've modded the original EAR834P (with MC SUT inside). I reckon the China clone kit pcb is of higher quality than the original pcb which is nothing special. IIRC the original SUT is 10:1 ratio. I've tried Cinemag SUT which works well too.

It would be for an MM cartridge, an Ortofon 2M Blue. I don't intend to use an MC cartridge anyhow soon.

I am more and more attracted by Les' modified MS-23B preamp. I like the enclosure design, not sure I could manage to make such a nice one for a EAR DIY. Also, it would be good to have a working preamp out of the box, that can be improved little by little. And it has a reduced footprint, I don't want a bulky phono preamp on my TT shelf.

Last edited:
Ok
I finally settled on the Yaqin, I will make the mods recommended to convert it into a Les Box.
A DIY Ear834 was close second on my list, but a bit too costy to get it well done. Also I had a good deal on a MS-22B. And this concept of having a working pre-amp right out of the box, that can be converted into a simple passive tube Riaa network sounds good to me.
I will post here my work as soon as I'll have enough time to dedicate myself to this job!
I already ordered 3 Svetlana =C= tubes to go along .

Yeah ... maybe I will regret not going for the EAR 83. I also read some of the 834 threads on the Lenco Heaven forum, sure it looks like a nice project too.
But I got the MS22B for a low price so that was also an argument besides that I wanted to give a try to the passive circuit instead of a feedback RIAA one.
Having the MS22B at home right now, I find it sounds okay but nothing spectacular. Somehow warm and soft but not very lively.
I'm looking forward to doing Lesbox mods next week-end hopefully. If the result still doesn't impress me I will sell it and make an EAR 834.

LesBox MS-23B vs. LittleBear T10 vs. "EAR 834" DIY

Cost can be multifaceted. Initial outlay and satisfaction vs time / money / losses in buying and selling and upgrading and attempting tweaks for example. The breakdown is different for everyone.

There are many options out there and also many wonderful contributions by forum members here. For tubes and MM, SY’s equal opportunity preamp comes to mind.

One thing I can tell you about most kits and assembled gear coming from China off eBay is that they will very rarely provide performance out of the box on par with some of the sophisticated offerings here. Often there are obvious schematic errors. This can unfortunately also be true of high priced commercial offerings in your local Hifi shop.

I’ve built a few incarnations of the 834 and would recommend it highly. There’s lots of support as well on LH to guide you through. I haven’t tried the Little Bear so I can’t compare them.

As always it’s a question of what you value and how you want to ultimately arrive at it.

I'm looking forward to doing Lesbox mods next week-end hopefully. If the result still doesn't impress me I will sell it and make an EAR 834.
How did you get on? If you have any problems just PM. The pdf guide has been updated and there is a link in it to a video on YouTube to assist further.
http://www.g4cnh.com/public/Putting_'Life'_into_the_Yaqin_MS-22B.pdf

I have done 60+ conversions now to the guide so there are no mistakes in it.
Just take your time, double check everything as you go and you should have no problem. Les

Hi,

just to say I went through the wole process of converting a MS-22B into a LesBox. Last winter I made all changes to the board.

I had to struggle for a while to get ovet the hum problem and didn't manage to have it right. I used it as it was (not too bad, if not pushing the volume over 9 o'clock...).

Last week I opened it again and after some time spent finding out what it was (I finally took out the recommended resistors on the ouput RCA plugs, and made a clean ground star network), I managed to get the hum completely gone. The improvement was radical!

I'm very pleased with the preamp now. I cannot think one can have a nicer stage!

Bass are rich and full bodied, everything at its right place, extension is very good both in the low and the high frequencies, voices very natural...

My Pro-ject Xpression will be the next thing I'll have to improve if I want a better sound from my LPs... :) :) :)

Many thanks Les.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.