Suggestions for a new turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a few years of CD only entertainment, I have dusted off my record collection and have even started buying more. There's a problem though - I sold my Linn quite a while ago and the only deck I have is an old beogram 5000 with the mmc4 cartridge. Although this sounds not bad, there is definitely room for improvement. Also the cartridge is due for replacement which would be fairly expensive and maybe not worth doing.
Any suggestions for a replacement deck which wouldn't require a second mortgage but would sound better than the b and o? I have been offered a Dual 505 mk3 fairly cheaply - is it worth considering?

Yup, a MMC4 stylus will cost you around £150, ouch !

The B&O 5000 was quite a competent turntable and IMO
the Dual 505 would not be a major improvement, value
depends on how much the 505 costs.

Lots of choice in the Uk if you know what to look for
and can refurbish / service an ailing turntable.

Walkers, Dunlops, Logics, Aristons etc.....

There is an Ariston RD11 on ebay.co.uk that with
some work would make a fine Linn LP12 substitute.

:) sreten.

Thanks for the info. I think I will give the dual a miss as I'm looking for something that is a significant improvement over the b and o. Had a look at the RD11 on ebay which would be ideal, however I'm not too sure about the seller who has a 1 feedback rating given by a zero rated buyer for a "private' sale - might wait for another one to come along i think! £150 for an mmc4!! that's a bit steep. My one is still working well but has clocked up the sort of playing hours which makes me think it might be due a change - might see if i can find a new home for it before i need to think about replacing the cartridge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.