Repairing a JVC DC-7 'Boombox'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been asked to service one of these Radio/Cassette/ Record player sets, which, AFAIK, were never sold in the UK. The main problem is with the cassette servo mechanism, which doesn't properly engage or function as it should. A strip-down revealed a loose cam gear which I've now refitted, hopefully correctly, and I may replace the drive belt if I can obtain one of the correct dimensions (ca. 86-87mm diameter x 6mm wide), but, in case this doesn't cure the fault, has anyone had experience of servicing one of these machines and can advise me as to what needs to be done. Perhaps a service manual for the cassette mechanism is available?

As a follow-up, I found that thre problem with the servo mechanism could not be easily rectified, and, after speaking to the owner, I have left the tape mech. set so that it will play tapes, but not record, fast wind or rewind. At one point the machine was switcing to record mode, even if a pre-recorded cassette was inserted (I had disconnected the heads so no tape was actually erased). Examination of the gears in the servo mechanism didn't reveal the cause, so, given that spare parts are unlikely to be available for this approx. 30 year old set, I've left things as noted above. The owners only need it for playing records and listening to the radio in any case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.