Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Resonance testing of new tone arm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2017, 05:15 AM   #1
Straight Tracker is offline Straight Tracker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Resonance testing of new tone arm

Hello All,

I have just finished assembling my new 2017 tangential tone arm. It functions as expected and I need to test it for resonance. I have several LPs that contain test tones for that purpose, but I don't know what to look for or how to interpret the tone arm's reaction to the tones. Has someone done this test before? Can you tell me what to look for?

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 17th July 2017, 09:38 AM   #2
alighiszem is offline alighiszem  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hello Ralf, this is the most simple method: How to check resonance on Tonearm.... | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Old 17th July 2017, 03:45 PM   #3
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting topic. I recently did some tests for my air bearing arm and want to see the difference of lateral resonance frequency and vertical resonance frequency, but the results are not what I expected. I may post the results later on under my air bearing thread.
Old 17th July 2017, 03:55 PM   #4
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Do you mean arm/cart LF resonance or tonearm resnances (usually 200Hz ish region)?
Old 19th July 2017, 08:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello alighiszem,

Thank you for that link. I think that's all I need to know.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 19th July 2017, 08:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hello billshurv,

I was referring to the frequencies between 7 Hz and 12 Hz.
When knowledgeable individuals discuss tone arms, they always stress that a tone arm's self resonance frequency should be in the above mentioned range of frequencies. I wanted to know how to test my tone arm without lab equipment.

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 19th July 2017, 04:11 PM   #7
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Then you are interested in the mass of your arm and the proper cartridge compliance combination that puts the range above low sub frequencys like you mention 7-12 Hz range.

You can in a pinch, put a high efficiency woofer on the floor unmounted and just watch it move as the tonearm traverses a record.
In alot of ways, this real world test will give a better feel on whats going on since the end result is all that matters.

If the woofer is moving like crazy on quiet passages then you have a severely mismatched cartridge compliance to TA mass ratio. It should be fairly stable if matched.

For Self resonance of the tonearm itself, I would use a strain gauge taped to the arm shaft in some way and not certain how you would find this out without test equitment

Regards
David

Last edited by AVWERK; 19th July 2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: .
Old 21st July 2017, 01:52 AM   #8
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> 7-12 Hz range. ..... woofer on the floor

If a 'scope is available: set the horizontal sweep to happen twice a second. Watch as you tap lightly on the top of the headshell. If you get 5 full waves per sweep, that is 10Hz. 4 or 6 waves (8-12Hz) is cool also.
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello PRR,

Thanks for your help. Since I just know enough about electronics to be dangerous, I have this question: Where does the input to the oscilloscope come from?

Sincerely,

Ralf
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,

I just realized that my original post was missing some information. I should have mentioned that the test I am trying to perform includes the cartridge! The cartridge is on long term loan to me from a kind gentleman who was adamant that I not disclose the brand. It is a cartridge that retails for $2,800 when it is not loaned. I do have an old Philipps dual beam oscilloscope but otherwise I am operating on the proverbial shoestring.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Resonance testing of new tone armHide this!Advertise here!