Resonance testing of new tone arm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ralf,

You mentioned the barriers to making your arm public before - I just forgot.

Were you able to do the resonance testing? I'm especially curious about whether you measured differences between the vertical and horizontal resonances.

I was in northern AZ a couple of times recently, but my wife had me on a pretty tight leash.

Hello Doug,

I haven't been able to do the resonance testing yet. I was hoping I'd get some advice as to how to do the test by ear. I have several test LPs that allow one to do the test by ear, but I find the instructions difficult. Two of the LPs are CBS professional series.

Get your Wife one of those extendable, spring retractable leashes :)

Sincerely,

Ralf

Another cheap way is with another lightweight tonearm/ cartridge/ phono system with the needle placed right on top of any section of the arm tube
or head-shell you want, and use headphones to listen for the arm tube/headshell resonance
Account for its tracking force and adjust the main arm to compensate total tracking force combined, and your good to go...
Difficult to maybe setup, but have seen it done and reveals real time sound rather than a chart or graph that gives you 1 dimensional information

Regards
David

If somehow phono cartridge stylus can be rested upon dust cap (small light weight material) of a wide band speaker driver and a low level frequency sweep played it will simulated test record and resonance can be measured. Right ?
Is it true that tonearm resonance/s are mostly in lower end of frequency rane as mid and higher frequency resonance gets damped by tonearm material and mass.
Thanks and regards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.