Portable radio won't tune into radio 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Post #15 you mean ? It seems to be non linear as if an error is becoming more pronounced.

Without testing it is difficult to say what is going on. It all seems more than just a drift of alignment though.

I've just noticed that the static noise decreases when tuned below 92Mhz, I guess this is not as it should be. I am going to have to admit defeat on this. Thanks for all the help and advice on this forum.:)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I've just noticed that the static noise decreases when tuned below 92Mhz, I guess this is not as it should be. I am going to have to admit defeat on this. Thanks for all the help and advice on this forum.:)

You're welcome :) it isn't going to be an easy diy fix I'm afraid.

(Do you know, I nearly asked could you still hear noise at the lower end of the scale. It sounds perhaps as though the local oscillator is packing up as it lowers in frequency... certainly a one off odd ball fault if it is. To investigate that would need the full circuit diagram and a very good scope)

If the noise reduces below 92MHz then either the RF and oscillator are not properly tracking each other (so sensitivity reduces at the bottom of the band) or the local oscillator is weak (or stopped) at the bottom of the band. In either case this is not a job for someone who lacks RF experience and test equipment. If you join the forum mentioned in post 26 then someone local to you may be able to help.

Plan B: I am presently listening to Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 , (they´re discussing HS2 rail line problems) ... from Buenos Aires !!! :eek:
Of course, online :)
So if you like it so much, you might go that way :) , there´s even a number of modern Internet Radios available, just search around.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> I am presently listening to ...Radio 2 .... from Buenos Aires !!! Of course, online

I got it too.

Problem is (aside from wanting the radio) is that the BBC "filters" that online server. You know there is a Radio/TV license in the UK. I do not know the specific policy, but I think if you are "in England" (by IP address) then you can not do the online thing(*). But outsiders get it free.

I understand there IS a way to jump through hoops to prove you paid the License. It may even be trivial-- I can't see it. (The folks I heard this from won't jump hoops.)

A cheat is to use a "VPN" to make your requests come from someplace else. I believe most VPN services have a choice of redirect points just for this purpose. However the free/lo-cost VPNs may choke at a connection which is left on most of the day. (I have a story but not funny.)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
At the moment live radio on BBC just has a reminder that you will need to log in/register at some point but there is a 'skip for now' option.

Online BBC TV asks if you are a license payer with a yes/no option. No verification needed as far as I could see. It all worked for me.

At the moment live radio on BBC just has a reminder that you will need to log in/register at some point but there is a 'skip for now' option.

Online BBC TV asks if you are a license payer with a yes/no option. No verification needed as far as I could see. It all worked for me.

Because you're in the UK possibly...?
I think you will find that the feeds are geo-blocked for others outside of the UK.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Some feeds are and some are not. I know I've posted some news items before now and they have been accessible to users in US/Canada. Globally and there are probably differences though. Impossible to second guess what anyone sees on the screen though.

I attempted my clock radio. It is single chip TEA5713 based am/fm and has ceramic filters for the 10.7 MHz IF.
I first turned cw the ferrite of the fm oscillator coil and tuned it to 88.1 MHz(my FM transmitter) with the gang positioned ccw, the position it goes to max capacitance.
Then I tried to receive the local station 105.4MHz. This station which was tuning before had gone out of the tuning range of the gang condenser.
Brought back the FM osc coil to the initial position and adjusted the fm osc trimmer on the gang to receive 88.1 very near to the end ccw position. Tried to tune 105.4MHz and found that it is positioned near the cw end of the gang.

The conclusion...
The gang c0ndenser is not attaining the specified max capacitance on turning to the ccw position due to wear and tear. If the ccw position is adjusted for the low end of the FM band, the trimmed in higher value pf prevents the gang from reaching the lowest value needed to tune high end of the FM band.

Inference...Gang condenser needs to be replaced.

Take the pf measurement of the removed gang in cw position and adjust this value into the replacement gang condenser. Then solder it in.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
I can see only one ceramic capacitor connected across the FM osc coil that, if leaky, would stop the oscillator.
The gang is a plastic 2J iirc.

Gajanan Phadte

Attachments

• TEA5713 AM FM.jpg
    TEA5713 AM FM.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.