Sony to produce records again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think there will be an increase in RIAA sales , the vast majority of turntables sold today are the junk models you see on Amazon and E bay etc.
They are purchased by ' hipsters ' as part of a lifestyle / image , it's mainly this type of consumer who is happy to pay the ridiculous amounts charged for vinyl now that is responsible for the increase in sales and as always if theres money to be made the market responds accordingly.
I imagine a few will 'upgrade ' and buy a ' proper ' deck at some point only to find that months of use with their Crossley record player tracking at 6 grams has destroyed any chance of an ' audiophile ' TT making the grooves sound at all ..er.. groovy :)
and go back to their mp3's/i pod's leaving the record player to gather dust serving only to remind guests how cool the owner is .

I don't think there will be an increase in RIAA sales , the vast majority of turntables sold today are the junk models you see on Amazon and E bay etc.
They are purchased by ' hipsters ' as part of a lifestyle / image , it's mainly this type of consumer who is happy to pay the ridiculous amounts charged for vinyl now that is responsible for the increase in sales and as always if theres money to be made the market responds accordingly.

This. :D

Most of these 'junk' players have USB output. :D:D
So much for the 'analogue better' argument.
And of contemporary production pressed to vinyl.... how much of the music was recorded and processed digitally? 100% :D:D:D

I was glad to see the CD's hit the market.
Gone the days of damaged discs by a slip or some mad mate. Ever had a fave record that had an impairment like scratch or skip..... and then every time you hear that affected track played on radio or CD these days expect to hear that impairment... and recall the mad mate that returned your record damaged... or the level of 'affected' you were when you personally screwed it?
Kinda like a bum tattoo of the mind?
None of my CD's or DVD's do that.

So, must admit, guilty of buying a modern limited edition vinyl this year.
I specifically went to inner city shop seeking it out.... a hipster infested area. Perhaps I didn't look all that out of place despite 3 times older and full beard not carefully manicured to look like a narcissistic uniform wank.
I did mask the disdain well. 'The scene' was kinda like an outing to the zoo in many ways.
And this was purely due to the theme, significance of the album and form - reissue in 3 colour. An investment. I'll never drop a needle on these discs.
Bonus was having the artist autograph the cover.... other contributors are to follow if I get the chance.
Cost ? Aside of tolerance for stress and stupidity in hipster heaven, over priced coffee, city traffic, parking and tolls ..... AU$40

My interest in 'records' for the last 10 years is limited to real 'records' [recording of a performance] produced prior to electrical recording process - yep... acoustically recorded [maybe 78rpm] shellac discs that had no RIAA biasing by their very nature.
It is in these discs you hear that group of musicians performing as they did - live recordings..... not subjected to overdub or patching up a weakness.
HiFi reproduction quality? Impossible.
Needing HiFi reproduction equipment? Absolutely!

Hipsters won't get their hands on my discs, unless it's to offload some overproduced junk dating from the 40's or 50's. Bing Crosby anyone?

btw.... they are shellac, NOT Bakelite.

As for Sony?
Honestly, is Sony Music division known for wise decisions in the past?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Not shellac either, polyvinyl chloride polymer. (closer chemically to Bakelite than Shellac I suspect)

Despite my misgivings vinyl continues to sell in relatively significant volumes here in the U.S.

The hipster thing does worry me, but OTOH I have purchased >50 albums in the past year on vinyl, about 30% are of current production. This is the most I have EVER purchased in one year, and more than I purchased total over a 20 yr period from about 1990 to 2010 when I started to purchase significant quantities of vinyl again.

I now have the resources to play vinyl well, something that was not always the case in the past.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.