Trying to locate a pulley

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As an experiment for my pioneer pl-41, I would like to test out a DC motor to replace the AC motor that runs mysteriously fast. I got a maxon motor with 3mm shaft. While I may be able to run the belt right on the shaft, I think it would track much better using a pulley with a crown. The question is, where do I find such a thing?

I dismantled a tape drive found in the electronics recycling pile at work, only to find the pulley too narrow with no crown. I have found a few pullies designed for use with o-rings, but I haven't found the right size o-ring yet. Internet searches mostly turn up synchronous pulleys for use with timing belts (with teeth). My searching on pulleys within the forum usually turns up suggestions of getting pulleys, but doesn't provide any clue where to get them...

So, does anyone have any ideas where to find a small, crowned pulley for a 3mm shaft? OD is not entirely important, anywere from 4 to 15mm would work.

sreten, don't worry, haven't totaly given up on the AC motor, this is just an experiment so far.

Mark D.

Joe, any specific companies? There are quite a few, but none have websites, so I must call each one until I find the magic company. I don't know if I can handle all the rejection that I am expecting ;)

I think I'm going to call a few local hifi stores & see if they have ever dealt with any specific companies for this sort of thing.

sreten, what do you mean by "spraying"? We did discuss sanding down a pulley in another thread, but in this case the OD of the DC motor shaft doesn't match the ID of any pullies I can find...

MD

g13092 said:
sreten, what do you mean by "spraying"? We did discuss sanding down a pulley in another thread,.......MD

I was just noting that a small speed excess can be corrected
by increasing the diameter of the driven part of the turntable.

For example for a belt driven subplatter stretching a section
of car tyre inner tube around the subplatter will slow speed.

Or you can use spliced electrical tape or similar.

Spraying with paint will effect small speed reductions.

:) sreten.

Ah, got it. I did actually try to increase the platter diameter with electrical tape once, just to see if it would come close. For a minor overspeed condition, this would have worked. In my case, it was still not enough. I probably used a whole roll of tape!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.