Cartridge Killer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yesterday I tried to fit an Ortofon 2M Black to my turntable (Michel Gyrodek with Rega arm).

I somehow managed to pull off the blue pin on the cart. Ortofon have told me the cart is not repairable - i.e. its scrap.

They cost about £350 to 450 depending where you buy.

Good start to my week.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes - I will contact Henley to see what a replacement body will cost. It came out when I put the blade of my small jewellers screw driver under the push-on female clip to pry it off. I note that the pins are not keyed in any way which would of course held them firm in the plastic over-mould.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
All evidence I have is that you are wrong, given an OM stylus will fit a 2M body.

BUT there are two styles of generator. Afaik one of the styles is only used for the S-120 though. This is an area I am researching...

Attachments

• orto_end.jpg
    orto_end.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 545
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I contacted Henley and they say they can supply replacement styluses but not replacement bodies which seems a bit strange, but there you have it.

Interestingly, the cartridge came with a Project 'Carbon' turntable that cost about £600 complete. I don't understand how they could justify putting a 2M BLACK on a brand new turntable that cheap - this was a promoted turntable by a major UK Hi Fi chain BTW - not some special for me.

I have a 2M RED, an AT95E and an AT311 ET 4TP with the 1/2" adaptor so I'll try one of these. My Shure V15 and a much older AT cart dating back to c. 1980 got lost in all my moves unfortunately. I'll just have to put the 2M BLACK on the shelf and think about what could have been. That said, I wonder if most of the claimed performance step-up going from RED to BLACK is actually in the stylus - so they stylus mount is a bit different (so RED and BLACK are not interchangeable) but the fundamental pick-up coil and design are similar. The BRONZE which is one step down from the BLACK is also quite expensive. Just thinking aloud.

You can bet I wont be doing a favour and volunteering to fit anyone's cartridge . . .

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's great - the BLACK stylus is supposed to be quite a bit better than the RED's and BLUE's.

The BLACK is quite a bit heavier than the RED I noticed.

Funny, I went back and had a look and the Original offer said a BLUE cartridge with the turntable. So I don't know why I got a BLACK. I never looked at the cart spec at the time and that's why I missed the fact that it was a BLACK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.