Turntable speed stabilty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
JP: I never cease to be amazed by your toy collection :) . Don't suppose you have any sweep records that go to 40KHz? would love to see how that EPC performs at HF and would make a great data point for the discussions on effective tip mass we've been having.

How's the DP-100 restore going?

The KD-550 IS PLL just not quartz locked. But controllers can be modified :)

Last edited:
Perhaps this one if it's not too much:

Dropbox - MK4_XG-7001_WF_1.wav

The second one is an SL-1200 GAE, and this is an SL-1200 MK4. All three with the same test record.
Here's the polar plot for this one, the SL-1200 Mk IV.

Good, but a few things going on and two halves of the rotation are somewhat different.........

Thanks for the cart/arm info, JP.

LD

Attachments

• JPWF3.JPG
    JPWF3.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 232
Thanks, @LD. As both revolutions track most likely a bearing issue? Do you have a plot for a healthy MK4?

@Hiten - serviced and using my replacement module for the MN6042. This one does have an issue: something in the drive circuit is temperature sensitive so calibration drifts until it's warmed up. I'll try to record a sample from one of my completely healthy units.

JP: I never cease to be amazed by your toy collection :) . Don't suppose you have any sweep records that go to 40KHz? would love to see how that EPC performs at HF and would make a great data point for the discussions on effective tip mass we've been having.

How's the DP-100 restore going?

The KD-550 IS PLL just not quartz locked. But controllers can be modified :)

Sorry, missed this.

The DP-100 is back together. I fabricated some caps for the suspension. Haven't tuned it up or ran it - took a full time job so free time is minimal.

I've some 40-50K sweeps. Need to find them.

Thanks, @LD. As both revolutions track most likely a bearing issue? Do you have a plot for a healthy MK4?

@Hiten - serviced and using my replacement module for the MN6042. This one does have an issue: something in the drive circuit is temperature sensitive so calibration drifts until it's warmed up. I'll try to record a sample from one of my completely healthy units.
From whatever I little understand of polar plots speed stability is amazing. :)

I have Technics SL-Q3. Wonder how much stable speed it has ? I don't have test record. Would be interesting to look at some mid range Direct Drive polar plots measurements.
Regards.

I think one might tell a bearing issue from free rotation spin down time..... I have one SL-1200 MkII plot that shows a similar trait, but several others that don't.

Balance or levelling, perhaps........? In general, SL-1200's are exemplary IME, at least in terms of rotational stability.

LD

Thanks Bill. That is good to know. A little comfort to know that this mid range TT is good. I like the auto operations too.

Earlier I only used to listen to rumble noise by stethoscope. After this thread I will try to listen any pitch variations. Sustained sounds of music pieces will be good start I think. Other way is to measure current drawn by the motor by precise multimeter or some other way I suppose. Am not electronically savvy:eek:
Regards.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
A number of people have done upgraded bearings. Not sure if Dave Cawley still does his version. He and the australian didn't get on well on other forums (fora?).

When mid price DDs were cheap I collected some motors to compare, which will still happen these days as seeing the work Calvin did on building a TT with a green motor I thought it would be fun. One day.

What does intrigue me is that the first plots I saw of an SL-1200 showed considerable cogging which these don't I need to see if they are still up on pinkfish and lencoheaven.

This is what I got with the direct Hilbert transform method and simple two pole filtering at 100Hz. LD, I just grabbed 1.8 sec out of the middle of the file do your plots represent more than one rev? This is the MK4_XG-7001_WF_1 file recently posted. I used the library I wrote for LA which is a free download at Jan's site. Again one nice feature is that Python does not care about power of 2 FFT's.

I need to finesse the cartesian to polar transform to make the polar plot look right. The default really wants the origin to be 0 so visually there is no resolution around 3kHz. I used SoX to convert the .wav to generic text data.

Attachments

• instf.jpg
    instf.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 226
  • instfcode.jpg
    instfcode.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
A number of people have done upgraded bearings. Not sure if Dave Cawley still does his version. He and the australian didn't get on well on other forums (fora?).

When mid price DDs were cheap I collected some motors to compare, which will still happen these days as seeing the work Calvin did on building a TT with a green motor I thought it would be fun. One day.

What does intrigue me is that the first plots I saw of an SL-1200 showed considerable cogging which these don't I need to see if they are still up on pinkfish and lencoheaven.

There were two 1210s on PFM, both showed cogging and the second one had an eccentric polar as well.

There were two 1210s on PFM, both showed cogging and the second one had an eccentric polar as well.
The eccentric polar is either a bent spindle or an off centre record. There is no easy way for healthy motor to cause it.

Regular cogging could be due to incorrect current drive waveform or maybe a motor gap error. There is a lot of scope with a DD motor of fine tuning the commutation to reduce cogging

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sadly the original files are no longer on PFM and the original recordings I don't think were published. Shame people use hosting for these things rather than uploading, but hey ho.

I think that there is a lot on tuning we can learn from this. As well as finding out that SP-10 owners were (damnit) right all along :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.