Is it possible to mod my MMF-5 for 78s?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had to listen to my 78s on a 1967 Magnavox console stereo for about 10 years now, and although it is fun to sit in the foyer and make martinis while Mel Torme belts out tunes, I would love to hear them on my real system and through some better speakers.

I was thinking I could either take the arm off the Magnavox and adapt it to the MMF-5 with a new armboard or something like that, then create a larger pulley for the motor....

any ideas welcome... should I just build a TT from scratch? I have been looking for an excuse...

I have access to old 1-inch video reels that would make a perfect platter.... and a motor from those very same machines.... plus the 1 inch tape itself as the belt....hmmmmm

But if I can just do a quick mod to the MMF 5 that would be OK. Plus I have always wanted a TT with two arms...

Hi Sreten,

I plug the MMF-5 into a bottlehead foreplay, which in turn goes into bottlehead paramours. THe speakers are Ed's Horns. Phono is the little rat for now until I round out the system with the bottlehead seduction phono pre.

I will search 78, but I was specifically looking to mod the MMF-5.

Today, however, I sat in front of the TT and thought about how much of a shame it would be to mess with it now that I finally have it set up and sounding very well....

Plus...I'm getting jazzed on building from scratch.

I've got this itch to go to the granite places now...

I know this is 11 years old [emoji23] but I couldn't help myself! I ended up getting a Crosley and giving away the console. Something I now regret (but only a little because that thing was massive and ugly with a capital "U"). Luckily it seems the resurgence of vinyl in the intervening years means that some new purpose built 78 turntables are out there now. So I'm probably going to see how much I can improve the Crosley with my dope DIY skillz and just buy a new 78 player.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Just to repeat Sreten's advice from 11 years ago, electrical 78's equalised with RIAA filter sound terrible; bottom heavy and all the sparkle from the top removed. You need at the very least a filter with poles at 25 and 250 Hz and one with 50 and 500 Hz, both without treble de-emphasis. This represents a minimum compromise if you are to experience how wonderful 78's can sound.

I was looking at several 78 specific carts now being made and thought that a speed controller with a direct drive turntable (like the sl1200) would be a good rig.

So you said "electrical" basically wont give me the optimum sound. I have time (to save up for the toy) and I wouldn't mind making an investment into getting the best (lets not get crazy though) sound. What is your suggestion for a better setup? I would hate to spend 800-1000 bucks for the above setup and still be compromising.

Im not averse to a DIY solution although i have less time to work on stuff these days.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

I think you have misunderstood me; I use the term "electrical" to mean recordings made by microphone (after 1925) rather than those made purely mechanically with recording horns (before 1925). Of course you should use a modern diamond tipped cartridge on a suitable modern turntable. It is the equalisation circuit in the preamp that I am talking about.

Hmmmmm. I thought i had responded already. Tapatalk must be up to its usual shenanigans. I cant wait till a decent alternative shows up. Change for change's sake sucks.

Anyway, i thought i said:

Oh! I totally did misunderstand! I just got a line on a speed control i can use with the MMF-5 which should improve the overall performance and add 78 into the mix! Now i can really look at a second arm fed directly into the preamp you mention!

Im excited again! Im searching for a duplicate arm on ebay and picking the wood for the new arm board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.