turntable wow and flutter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to u all,
recently an old sony ps212 a tuntable was given to me by a friend moving to south africa .he also gave me 41 records which he had.the problem ,he told me is that the turntable had not been used for some years and that doing some cleaning would set it right.eager for a test,i cleaned the equiment on my work desk on the same day and by late evening it was ready for play.the turtable a direct drive one still had its original japanese stylus and as the needle hit the grooves,a dissapointed sound was heard with a lot of wow and flutter.i proceeded to adjust the speed using the inbuilt strobe but the wow didn't dissapear and the markingson the platter did not come to stand still no matter how much i turned the speed adjustment resistances on the bottom pcb.the 45rpm was better than the 33.3rpm.what could be the cause of all that?the turntable is still in good physical condition.
waiting for your comments and advice.thanks.
nb:i do not have a scope only a frequency meter and a multimeter.

Hi, My initial thought is that the adjustment controls are not working well. Over a period of time ones that are not used build up corrosion inside and either need cleaning or replacement depending on the type. A good place for specific answers to this type of question is the vinylengine forum. Lots of helpful folks there.

there may be a trimmer pot...

used to set the rough speeds (internal), then the adjustment knob for fine adjustment. Seek out a repair manual for it (maybe at the vinylengine?).

Also these DD tables that use 'servo lock' or PLL, may have those circuits not working properly, but I suspect the former rather than the later.

Electrolytic capacitors are the most frequent reason of malfunctioning an electronic equipment that has not been used for a long time. You can observe them for any leaking, but better to replace all of them without any hesitation.
:checked:

CHeck also the strip connections...Terminals with oxydations.
Better to solder them definitively istead of living with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.