Electrical noise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2017, 04:17 PM   #1
onis_uk is offline onis_uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Electrical noise

I have my amp plugged into my Samsung TV via the headphone output jack.

Without anything plugged into my amps phono sockets there is a tiny amount of noise, you really can barely hear it with your ear right on the tweeter.

As soon as its plugged into the TV there is electrical noise, it doesn't seem like a ground loop because its not a constant hum plus the amp and tv are in the same socket so no such loop exists. It just sounds like EMI or similar. its not volume related, just a set level of noise.

When watching TV with zero volume the noise is audibly louder when SD channels are selected compared to HD channels.

I know most would just suggest a DAC... I've tried this...zero noise! but it seems to "sterilise" the sound to me, similar to comparing CD to vinyl, it also added a small time delay that drove me mad watching films. Only the more pricey DACs seem to come with time delay functions.

so, can anyone suggest anything to tackle this noise issue?
Worth trying a ground loop isolator??
Old 19th May 2017, 04:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

"phono sockets". If this is a true phone input, that's the wrong place to plug your TV in. Phone input is in th millivolt range, while "line" input is 1 to 2 volts. Plug into an AUX or TAPE input.
Old 19th May 2017, 05:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No RCA output on the TV? Is the noise on headphones?
Old 19th May 2017, 05:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The only two audio outputs are the toslink optical and the headphone jack.

Not sure about the headphones, i'll try them out and report back, I'm guessing because of the high impedance this noise would be massively reduced......?
Old 19th May 2017, 06:14 PM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Could be that the TV has a class-d headphone amp and when you plug an amplifier in the carrier gets modulated down or causes other oscillation in the amp.
Old 19th May 2017, 06:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's present with headphones too!

It sounds like my TV has a tiny R2D2 inside it lol!

Worth getting something like the Mpow Ground loop isolator?? or even try to clean up the power supply AC with a Tacima CS947?
Old 19th May 2017, 06:38 PM   #7
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Use a DAC. Almost all video sound is multichannel. At least 5.1. What your listening to is a down mix to 2 channels. Would you down mix stereo to mono? Check your tv for audio delay adjustment. What you want to delay is the video to match the DAC processing delay.
Old 19th May 2017, 06:41 PM   #8
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you hear it with headphones it's not ground loop. And if it changes with picture it's probably video processing noise (digital) leaking into the audio path.
Old 19th May 2017, 06:45 PM   #9
russc is offline russc  England
diyAudio Member

Why would there be noise on headphones but not on TV speaker?
Old 19th May 2017, 07:07 PM   #10
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplesset
"phono sockets". If this is a true phone input, that's the wrong place to plug your TV in.
When a Brit says "phono" he may be referring to what Americans call 'RCA'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onis_uk
I know most would just suggest a DAC... I've tried this...zero noise! but it seems to "sterilise" the sound to me, similar to comparing CD to vinyl, it also added a small time delay that drove me mad watching films.
Some TVs have an adjustable time delay. It would need to be a rather bad DAC to deliver sound which is worse than a TV, but there is no accounting for taste.

Quote:
plus the amp and tv are in the same socket so no such loop exists.
That means a small loop, not no loop.

You are probably hearing some combination of ground loop, Class D switching noise and video processing noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!