Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

3 Phase Class D amp for DIY BLDC motor Drive
3 Phase Class D amp for DIY BLDC motor Drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2018, 08:48 PM   #281
grayblob is offline grayblob  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownsend3590 View Post
Like I mentioned in the other thread, I have experienced a scraping noise coming from the motor. This motor has been disassembled so many times in testing, I may not have pressed the pulley or bearings on correctly. I just put some of these bearings in being careful to have the spindle support pressing on the bearings & pulley. So far it's very quiet.

XiKe 10 Pack 625-2RS Precision Bearings 5x16x5mm, Rotate Quiet High Speed and Durable, Double Seal and Pre-Lubricated, Deep Groove Ball Bearings.: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Hard to tell if it's also your bearings. Mine were quite smooth by turning them by hand as well.

Cheers,
Gregory
Gregory,

I will most likely try new bearings, I have the blws motor so mine are different but I can find some. Thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 06:58 PM   #282
grayblob is offline grayblob  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Update on another part of this build. I purchased both the round belt and flat belt pulley from sdp-si.

Both are concentric and work well.

The round belt one was ment for a 1/8" belt. I purchased that with it and found that it added vibration and did not hold speed as well so I used it with a 1/16" or 2mm belt and it performed great. I found though that the round belt pulley did not fit that great on my motor shaft. It was tight and would get stuck trying to take it on and off even with the set screw removed.

For that reason I also purchased their flat belt pulley and a flat belt. This pulley fit on well and did not have that same issue. It was more finicky in terms of setup and getting it at the right height for the belt to stay on. Overall though it lowered noise, not inaudible but less than before(still going to try bearings), and it runs I think more speed stable although I have no tried a test record or the script that is in another thread here, only based on my tachometer readings.

Both are worthwhile depending on your setup and for their relative inexpensive are worth simply trying.

Here are links to the ones I used. I ended up using the .512 flat belt and I am satisfied.

Product | Designatronics Store | Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument
Product | Designatronics Store | Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument
Product | Designatronics Store | Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 04:21 PM   #283
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
vgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: poros island
3 Phase Class D amp for DIY BLDC motor Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayblob View Post
Update on another part of this build. I purchased both the round belt and flat belt pulley from sdp-si.

Both are concentric and work well.

The round belt one was ment for a 1/8" belt. I purchased that with it and found that it added vibration and did not hold speed as well so I used it with a 1/16" or 2mm belt and it performed great. I found though that the round belt pulley did not fit that great on my motor shaft. It was tight and would get stuck trying to take it on and off even with the set screw removed.

For that reason I also purchased their flat belt pulley and a flat belt. This pulley fit on well and did not have that same issue. It was more finicky in terms of setup and getting it at the right height for the belt to stay on. Overall though it lowered noise, not inaudible but less than before(still going to try bearings), and it runs I think more speed stable although I have no tried a test record or the script that is in another thread here, only based on my tachometer readings.

Both are worthwhile depending on your setup and for their relative inexpensive are worth simply trying.

Here are links to the ones I used. I ended up using the .512 flat belt and I am satisfied.

Product | Designatronics Store | Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument
Product | Designatronics Store | Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument
Product | Designatronics Store | Stock Drive Products/Sterling Instrument

Which flat bet did you use?
__________________
"Without deviations from the norm, progress is not possible" - Frank Zappa
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 04:32 PM   #284
grayblob is offline grayblob  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgeorge View Post
Which flat bet did you use?
I am driving a subplatter and not an exterior platter so my circumference is not relevant. The belt is .25" tall and .02" thick. sdp-si doesnt have large enough belts for external platter drive but this place does and it is where I purchased mine. Flat Turntable Belts By Size – Turntable Tuneup

If someone has a cheaper source for flat belts I would appreciate that. I can live with the $10-15 but cheaper would always be preferable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 04:55 PM   #285
realjuliano is offline realjuliano
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Hi everyone.. looks like I MAY currently have an option for shipping over an AA motor to the UK

Just wondering does anyone in the US happen to have a spare board for sale for the MA-3D and possibly also the SG4 with latest chip (although I know I can get these in the UK from Ralph)

I would just need it posted within the US.

Please PM me if you can help.

kind regards
realjuliano
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 05:56 PM   #286
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
vgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: poros island
3 Phase Class D amp for DIY BLDC motor Drive
I have an MA-3D pcb if interested.
__________________
"Without deviations from the norm, progress is not possible" - Frank Zappa
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 05:58 PM   #287
vgeorge is offline vgeorge  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
vgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: poros island
3 Phase Class D amp for DIY BLDC motor Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayblob View Post
I am driving a subplatter and not an exterior platter so my circumference is not relevant. The belt is .25" tall and .02" thick. sdp-si doesnt have large enough belts for external platter drive but this place does and it is where I purchased mine. Flat Turntable Belts By Size Turntable Tuneup

If someone has a cheaper source for flat belts I would appreciate that. I can live with the $10-15 but cheaper would always be preferable.
I an considering to try a flat belt, as I see a difference between one and two belts. I think a flat maybe better still. Only If I try will find out.
__________________
"Without deviations from the norm, progress is not possible" - Frank Zappa
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 04:06 PM   #288
InSides is offline InSides
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between fire and water.
I have the BLWR motor running for a bit now, and speed seems to be quite good, although there is almost no part of the turntable currently in a "final" state.

That said, I have noticed some unwanted behaviour with the motor - when running at 45rpm, it seems to produce a rattling/scratching noise. Well, mostly rattling.

This comes from the motor only, and is present when I remove the belt and the pulley.

Once back to 33.3rpm, all seems good and the noise vanishes.

The SG4/MA-3D combo is setup meticulously, and the offset is minimal (well within expected limits).

Any thoughts to what I might be doing wrong? I would like to avoid replacing the motor bearings if I can - but will do if it cures the noise.

I would like to eliminate issues with the SG4/MA-3D first.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 05:04 PM   #289
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Pyramid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Behind the Cheddar Curtain
45 RPM should have higher running voltage than 33. Can you confirm that the DC supply is adequate to prevent clipping of the signal. It would be quite helpful if you have access to a scope. Alternatively, try reducing the running voltage and see if that makes any difference. It could just be a faulty motor, but I've bought over a dozen motors from AA of different sizes and mounting types, without a problem in any of them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 06:18 AM   #290
InSides is offline InSides
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between fire and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
Can you confirm that the DC supply is adequate to prevent clipping of the signal.
I've acquired an adjustable PSU (adjustable in fixed increments) to power the MA-3D and SG4. It can be set to anything between 12V and 24V.

Currently set at 15V as per the original BOM. At 15V it deliveres 2.2A.

What would be the parameters for an adequate PSU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
Alternatively, try reducing the running voltage and see if that makes any difference.
Reduce voltage via the SG4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid View Post
It would be quite helpful if you have access to a scope.
I will try to make arrangements to have it reviewed on a scope.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


3 Phase Class D amp for DIY BLDC motor DriveHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
60 WPC Amplifier for DIY Turntable Motor Drive Pyramid Analogue Source 323 18th July 2018 01:59 PM
DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive Pyramid Analogue Source 664 10th July 2018 02:30 AM
3 Phase BLDC motor for turntable use? Pyramid Analogue Source 238 5th February 2018 02:38 AM
BLDC motor upgrade board for CDM9/CDM12 transport or CD player iancanada Digital Source 1 21st July 2015 03:51 PM
Motor to drive platter in DIY Record Cleaning Machine audionut44 Construction Tips 7 10th September 2014 09:26 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki