Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 05:55 PM   #501
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default UPDATES FOR EQ INSTALLATION

Here are the instructions for building and installing the EQ PCB. (Supersedes all earlier instructions)

All the parts with the exception of the capacitors can be found here: Digi-Key - Fast Add
I do not recommend substitution of any of these parts. Thin film resistors must be used.

The 0.047uF/400V or 600V, 0.022uF and 820pF capacitors are available from Sonic Craft. The caps should be matched and close to the nominal value. (< 2% if possible) I used RTX for the 0.047uF, TFT for the 0.022uF/200V, and a polystyrene and foil for the 820pF.

Some changes are required to the pre-amplifier PCB to fit the EQ boards. See attached schematic for details.

The EQ PCB must be secured to the board to assure long term reliability and prevent intermittent connections. Hot melt glue or electronic grade RTV are recommended.

Optional Reworks:

1. I have identified a minor issue with noise injection into the CCS via the -25V supply by the LM337. See schematic for a rework to add some decoupling to the bias supply to address this.
2. Replace R7 with 47.5 ohm resistor (33.2 - 56.1 acceptable)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180123_124027.jpg (252.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180123_124036.jpg (209.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180123_124058.jpg (335.1 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SG_Phono1aR.pdf (58.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf SG_Phono_EQ_Module1B.pdf (17.7 KB, 1 views)
Old Today, 06:42 PM   #502
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you are doing with the solid state relays, please explain.

One thing you can try is large ferrites on the compressor power cord pretty close to the pressure switch, this should help both radiated and conducted HF harmonics during switch closure. The other thing you can do is get some snubbers (RC network designed specifically for this purpose) and install them across the switch contacts.)
Kuzma suggests to use long wire and solid state relay for their airline arm. Please the diagram. Basically, they use solid state relay to replace mechanical contact. They use one solid state relay on the pressure switch. I tried it. But it didn’t work. So, I tried to use two solid state relays on AC power, one for phase and one for neutral. Bot relays are triggered by external 12 V DC. I am also using a long extension cord for the compressor. But nothing works.

I also tried a high current power isolator. But, the compressor motor doesn’t work with the power isolator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2018-01-23 11.55.47.jpg (155.0 KB, 2 views)

Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)Hide this!Advertise here!