Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2017, 04:04 PM   #451
super10018 is offline super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Yes that is the right circuit, but you only need one in the PSU between the chassis and the PSU board. You can connect the audio supply ground to the chassis in the audio chassis or run a separate ground wire which could be connected to the chassis in the PSU. (No connection between audio power ground and chassis in the audio chassis if you do this.)

Note also that only ONE ground pad on each of the pre-amp cards should be connected to the PSU. I use the one associated with the 300V supply.

Finally the ground loop breaker goes between the PSU chassis and the PSU ground.
I got it. Thanks!
Old 27th November 2017, 06:20 PM   #452
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

After recently reading up on strain gauge cartridges (actually, it was one of Kevin's posts that piqued my interest, so thanks Kevin!!), I pulled the trigger on an ebay offering of Panasonic EP451C and the matching demodulator to go with it. When it arrived, it was in absolutely mint condition. It even came with a Walco diamond stylus.

I just got it hooked up last night and it was quite impressive. The response still needs some shaping. I'd say it is pretty close to the attached image, which is the response of the cartridge itself. I put a shelf of -6 db, Q of 1, at 15 kHz. That cleaned up the etched sound at the top. Left the bottom end as it is, which was quite pronounced and probably needs a cut also.

My system is a Technics SL1200 with a DL103 and a Dyna 10X5. The 10X5 is superior to the DL103, and I'd say the 451C was not far behind the 10X5. It definitely calls for more experimentation.

I haven't looked at the circuit of the demodulator, but it does not appear to compensate for the cartridge response. It did sound fine otherwise, so, it must compensate for the RIAA plus inherent SG response. How can one run a frequency response sweep? Might be time to invest in a test LP.

I feel like this technology has a higher ceiling than the MC cartridges and probably at a fraction of the cost. Apart from the tonal response, the imaging was very good, and there was a general sense of ease about the sound.

I'm going to try to build Hazard's JFET preamp to see what it can do, and might even try Kevin's circuit, though I don't have any experience with tubes. I think another viable approach is to just provide gain and do the correction digitally, for example, using a miniDSP. That would make it flexible so that you can correct the cartridge's response together with all the other correction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kcl3k5.jpg (23.9 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by ra7; 27th November 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 1st December 2017, 02:42 AM   #453
shooter is offline shooter  United States
diyAudio Member

We have a get together today to listen to the new strain gauge preamp, everyone that knows my system were impressed with the improvement over the old and commented the sound was the best my system ever sounded! I end up using .12 uf vitamin q and 1 uf polycarbonate as coupling caps. Very happy with the sound! Very quiet as well.
Kevin really did an outstanding job designing this preamp, for those that are on board for the build you won't be disappointed!
Old 5th December 2017, 02:38 AM   #454
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thank you for the feedback!

I am in the process of getting ready to have one of my OEM styli retipped with a microridge stylus on a boron cantilever for use on my 465C.

Next up after that will be the 451C on the Souther Tri-Quartz.
Old 6th December 2017, 12:23 AM   #455
shooter is offline shooter  United States
diyAudio Member

I think the boron microridge stylus will be the best, the boron line contact sounds a bit warmer but the sapphire microridge extracts more detail may be the boron microridge will have the best of both!
Old 6th December 2017, 07:18 PM   #456
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Differences between Namiki micro-ridge and line-contact profiles.
Attached Images
File Type: gif IMG_0470.GIF (123.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 6th December 2017, 11:36 PM   #457
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting and a bit counter-intuitive. I wonder if the microridge is a lot less sensitive to SRA than the line contact? Everything else the same?
Old 7th December 2017, 12:48 AM   #458
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

The micro ridge has more contact area overall but the line contact is a wider than the thin micro ridge

Lookup- Adamant microridge
down on the bottom hit stylus tip for specs

Regards
David

Last edited by AVWERK; 7th December 2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: .
Old 7th December 2017, 02:00 AM   #459
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting...
Old 8th December 2017, 07:37 PM   #460
DaveG is offline DaveG  United States
diyAudio Member

yes, I agree..very interesting reading. thank you AVWERK

Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)Hide this!Advertise here!