Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2017, 11:57 AM   #21
shooter is offline shooter  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kevin, I will start to gather parts for the build.
Old 21st May 2017, 03:33 PM   #22
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

You know where to get parts! Kevin, will a 6C4πEV work in place of the 6C3πEV?

John
Old 21st May 2017, 03:48 PM   #23
GTHICM is offline GTHICM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to GTHICM Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)
Hey John, I have extra 6s3p even here if you guys need some.
Old 21st May 2017, 04:28 PM   #24
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsem View Post
You know where to get parts! Kevin, will a 6C4πEV work in place of the 6C3πEV?

John
Yes, that's a great sub, audio wise essentially identical.
Old 21st May 2017, 04:32 PM   #25
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTHICM View Post
Hey John, I have extra 6s3p even here if you guys need some.
Thanks, Dana! I already have a bunch of 6C4πEVs.

John
Old 21st May 2017, 04:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Ive got one change I'd recommend to the battery bias circuit in the first stage to remove it from the audio path. I'll explain later as I am on my smartphone at the moment.
Old 21st May 2017, 11:07 PM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Here's the score (and a new schematic with trivial changes) - I am often reminded that some A23 batteries add an objectionable coloration to the sound which I would characterize as a nasality in the upper mids - most noticeable on female vocals, which as luck would have it is about 20% of what I listen to..

So I've added a little additional circuitry to decouple the battery from the audio path, this is two totally non critical (as to quality) resistors and a capacitor (where quality is important).

Russian surplus 200V teflon are applicable to at least the battery bypass. Type K72P-6 is what I used for battery bypassing in the first stage because it is what I had..

Most of the other caps are TRT Dynamicaps, the EQ cap is a REL PP foil. (tolerance matters - optimum results from about 920p - 1000p)

I am using Telefunken 6DJ8, I've found most Russian 6N23P to frankly not sound that great. I'd recommend modern equivalents from JJ..

I'm listening at the moment, sound is detailed, dynamic and well detailed without being obnoxious. I'm actually pretty impressed with this 45 year old cartridge.

Note: If you have a system with strong bass response below 50Hz you may want to reduce the value of C1 to 0.022uF - 0.047uF to tune the bass response to your system.

Second response plot reflects response where C1 = 0.022uF (I am using this value)

Please see post #73 for current recommended design
Attached Images
File Type: png Strain_Gauge_Phono_V1.1.PNG (69.6 KB, 337 views)
File Type: png Gain and phase Strain Gauge Phono V1.1.PNG (76.0 KB, 248 views)
File Type: png Gain and phase Strain Gauge Phono V1.2.PNG (75.1 KB, 230 views)
Old 21st May 2017, 11:46 PM   #28
diyAudio Moderator

Changed out C1 for a 0.022uF/5%/200V K72P-6, interesting while it did reduce the overall bass response as expected (right for my system) it also resulted in somewhat darker sound overall than I had expected. Seems in general to be a good compromise.
Old 22nd May 2017, 02:25 AM   #29
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Changed out C1 for a 0.022uF/5%/200V K72P-6, interesting while it did reduce
the overall bass response as expected (right for my system) it also resulted in somewhat
darker sound overall than I had expected. Seems in general to be a good compromise.
Great work. Will you measure the frequency or square wave response with a test record?
Old 22nd May 2017, 03:11 AM   #30
diyAudio Moderator

Once I get the new RTX I plan to do some test record pink noise measurements. I do not expect it to match the RIAA as well as my typical MM/MC based set ups simple because it is difficult to compensate perfectly for the response of these cartridges. Still learning as well, no doubt I will get better at it over time.

Sounds fairly good at this juncture.

Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)Hide this!Advertise here!