Playing With Panasonic Strain Gauge Cartridges (And A Dedicated Phono Stage)

Hello again

Here are a bunch of closeup photos of another Win Lab Strain Guage I have.
This one is at the moment unusable because the stylus fell out of the blue rubber device that is meant to hold it. Don't know what kind of adhesive to use but more important, don't know how I'm going to align the cantilever in the rubber holder so that it has the precise geometry needed for best performance.

Thats a problem for another day, for the moment, here are some pics.

Curt

Gonna load a few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_3691.JPG
    IMG_3691.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_3692.JPG
    IMG_3692.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3693.JPG
    IMG_3693.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_3695.JPG
    IMG_3695.JPG
    523.2 KB · Views: 253
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Virtuono reported that his boards arrived safely sometime in the past couple of days.

I am still expecting transformers to ship from Heyboer on 24-AUG-17 baring news to the contrary. Once I get them I will start to ship out packages as I am able.

Final testing on the new PSU with transformer and boards will start at that point.

Several friends have been over lately and really liked the current incarnation with the slightly warty tube based supply and all. To be honest the other strain gauge which is a 465C will go on the TD-124 MKII with the yet to be finished second unit at least for some time. Probably in the longer term the 465C and second pre will end up on the 401 with some as yet unknown arm.

I do like Sapphire Cantilevers, or Diamond if poss? My old Audio Note (Kondo) Io used Titanium but when the late Garrott Bros redid this Cart with Aluminium it was F****d, and time to say goodbye, although it somehow disappeared before I could dispose of it myself! Yes would be interested in better quality replacement stylii.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dave Slagle offers replacement styli with boron cantilever and micro-ridge or line contact stylus, and a ruby/sapphire cantilever with micro-ridge stylus.

Long lead times and he is about to order more inventory so anyone interested in one of these options ought to contact him soon at intact audio.

I don't know the current cost, but am thinking boron/line contact in my case.

There is something I am calling a dampener block in it. I don't see the dampener block in the patent. At first I thought it was a simple weight.
It feels slightly like rubber boot sole.
The brown strain element mounts are very soft like cured silicone caulk.
Remounting could change things considerably.

Attachments

• Dampening block.jpg
    Dampening block.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Dampening block 2.jpg
    Dampening block 2.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Strain gauge rubber mount.jpg
    Strain gauge rubber mount.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 205