Trafomatic RIAA network. Any good? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2017, 09:38 PM   #1
JordiMB is offline JordiMB  Spain
diyAudio Member

Default Trafomatic RIAA network. Any good?

While studying different RIAA deemphasis sistems (because learning is fun) I've found this phono stage that uses a different aproach:

6moons audio reviews: Trafomatic Audio Reference Phono One

The RIAA network is neither in the feedback path nor in the classic passive filter between stages. It's in the plate load. Maybe some of you were aware of it, but for me it's the first time I see something like this. Well, it makes sense, and it seems to work allright.

I've made a very quick simulation on LTSpice, using jfets instead of tubes, and with some tweaking of resistors and capacitors values I've obtained a decent result (not accurated, just promising). What it can be appealing is that you lose a lot less signal than with a passive filter.

Can it be a good alternative system, or has it been tried before and has it been rejected for not being good enough?

Last edited by JordiMB; 9th May 2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: misspelling editing
Old 9th May 2017, 10:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Check out the last circuit in this thread

:: View topic - Pentode Phono

It is about the only way to build an entire phono preamp in a single stage. Having listened to a proto based on the idea i can attest to its viability. In fact it was remarkably good.

The idea is of course not new. Historic phono preamps have been built using frequency dependent loaded pentodes. If not mistaken one of Creek Audio's phono stages employed the same idea using transistors.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:41 AM   #3
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> nor in the classic passive filter between stages. It's in the plate load.

Electrically it is the same thing.

With triodes it is dubious because internal plate resistance is not known exactly. With pentodes the internal resistance is generally so much greater than the external DC resistor that we can work with resistor-based accuracy.
Old 10th May 2017, 04:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Dht Rob built it and recommended it to me. So I'll build one...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 10th May 2017, 06:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
> nor in the classic passive filter between stages. It's in the plate load.

With triodes it is dubious because internal plate resistance is not known exactly. With pentodes the internal resistance is generally so much greater than the external DC resistor that we can work with resistor-based accuracy.
Interesting. That's the reason they used pentodes. Worth exploring, even you can use jfets or mosfets...

Last edited by JordiMB; 10th May 2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10th May 2017, 07:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Is it? The frequency dependent load never allows full swing at high frequencies as it controls the gain. Overload performance cannot be equal.
Old 10th May 2017, 09:33 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

From what I've seen in the simulation, you don't lose as much gain as with the classic passive filter. So maybe it's possible to make a phono preamp with only one gain stage. Interesting what analog_sa says: this kind of riaa network can prevent from overload at high frequencies, no?
Old 11th May 2017, 12:55 PM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If you use a voltage amplifier with low output impedance (e.g. a triode) then you need to add a series resistor to define the source impedance, then add the RIAA network.

If you use a transconductance amplifier with high output impedance (e.g. pentode or cascode) then you need to add a shunt resistor to define the source impedance, then add the RIAA network.

I can't see much difference between these two approaches. With the latter you may have to be more careful about PSRR because you probably want to take your final output voltage referenced to ground but the pentode version uses the supply rail as reference.
Old 12th May 2017, 07:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Another great example

Schematic riaa corrector
Old 12th May 2017, 07:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

And another from forum member Wavebourn

Linearity

Hide this!Advertise here!