Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2004, 04:46 PM   #1
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Default WTB: Thorens turntable

I'm looking for a FUNCTIONAL thorens turntable, one of the following models:
td 125, td 150, td 165, td 160 may also be considered

It doesn't have to be in pristine condition as I will be rebuilding it, but it has to be functional, and has to come with an arm and a cartridge which I can use until I am able to buy a new arm/cart.

Preferably located in Canada, due to shipping charges, but US will be considered as well if the price is right. Europe is simply too expensive for shipping for me to be able to obtain it, BUT again, if both the price of the TT and the shipping is low enough, I will consider it!

I am looking to pay no more than about $80USD ($100ish CDN), plus another $20USD for shipping, so in total no more than $100USD AFTER shipping.

As I said, the condition its in is not of much concern to me, but it has to be fully functional. Please post here, or email me with anything that you may have.
Old 22nd March 2004, 06:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you haven't yet you might want to check ebay. There are always a few Thorens listed.
Old 22nd March 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
If you haven't yet you might want to check ebay. There are always a few Thorens listed.

I'm keeping an eye on ebay, and I've been following it for the past little while. Sadly, most of those found on ebay are in great britain, or US, and they go over my budget. There is a td 165 I'm looking at from canada, but the buyer for some reason cancelled and re-listed the item a day before it was supposed to end! Its a good price right now too, $40!
Old 22nd March 2004, 08:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don,t have a Thorins but I have an old AR with a brand new belt
I don,t know the condition of,or # of the sure cartrige but $50
+ shipping from 30290 would buy it.. if you convience me you need it.

Regards,

Woody
Old 22nd March 2004, 08:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'd prefer a thorens, but depends on how my search goes I might consider the AR. Do you know the model # of the TT? And do you have any pictures?

Thank You
Old 22nd March 2004, 09:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

One other thing, would AR rate as good as the thorens? (or perhaps better than thorens?)

As I said, I'm not too concerned with the cartridge, as long as it comes with one so I can use it temporarily.
It will be refitted with a new arm/cartridge when the time comes.
Old 22nd March 2004, 10:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ONE more thing, does it look like this by any chance?
http://www.arsound.com/public_html/data/ar-xa-2.jpg
Old 23rd March 2004, 05:22 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Once you get comparable arms on them, the AR & the Thorens are close... they both come with less than stellar arms, but the AR is the less stellar of the 2.

dave
Old 23rd March 2004, 06:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

How easy is it to equip a thorens td165 with an arm compared to an AR AX (or xa .. )?
What about other mods, which is more accepting of them?

Btw, i'm still waiting for a response from woody. If he wishes to sell the AR to me, then AR it is. Otherwise there's a thorens and a couple ar's on ebay i'm keeping an eye on.
Old 23rd March 2004, 06:38 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by elizard
How easy is it to equip a thorens td165 with an arm compared to an AR AX (or xa .. )?
What about other mods, which is more accepting of them?

Btw, i'm still waiting for a response from woody. If he wishes to sell the AR to me, then AR it is. Otherwise there's a thorens and a couple ar's on ebay i'm keeping an eye on.
It is about equally easy... i've done transplants on both. You do need to get the right arm. I have an AR here, but the headshell bolts have been ripped out so i was going to do an arm transplant. Got the arm (and could probably scare up another), just no time yet. Woody's sounds like a better deal than what i need to get out of mine.

As to other mods, since the Thorens is essentially the same topology as the AR (and the Linn) mods end up being simpler. The subchassis on the AR is more elegant and the wiring a little less "german" so it is probably the easier of the 2 to work with.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!