AKAI Parts and Service

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi DIY community,

I have this AKAI Reel to reel.

I want to refurbish it.

stereo_tape_deck_4000_ds_mk_ii_1533226.jpg

The biggest problem with the unit is that that main head is so worn out that tapes no longer gently slide against it, instead , after couple of minute after cleaning the head, the tapes start to grab making hi pitched noises.

Also the rubber roller on the motor is dry and needs to be replaced.

Does anyone of you knows any resources for this problems in the Ottawa region?

Thanks

Marc

Last edited:
Couple of suggestions

it may be the tape itself, not the heads. What kind of tape are you using? Many older tapes, including NOS, can produce that "squeak" noise as they unwind. The tape is sticking to itself and binding up, and the friction as it slips causes a repetitive squeak.

Then there is sticky-shed syndrome (sometimes called SSS.) The tape sheds its binding as it goes through the transport. Not usually a source of squeak/squeal though.

As for the roller, try CaiKleen RBR (rubber "rejuvenator") before assuming you need a replacement. I've used it and it is quite effective.

Thank you rewind for your reply.

As for the tapes, We have a pretty wide range of quality. the squeezing comes from the tape grabbing one the head and then unstick but this at high frequency.

It adds high-pitched noise on the output making it "unlistenable".

If I clean the heads, it is fine for 5-10 minutes then it appears again.

I first tough it was the chrome on the head that had eroded and the media jams in the softer shell. It does it with alot of media now. at both speed.

I Will try to attach a picture of the head as they stand right now.

Regarding the tapes : Red this after saw your post: http://www.ebay.com/gds/NOS-Blank-Open-Reel-Tape-What-You-Need-To-Know-/10000000009088999/g.html

Marc

For The Roller. It has a lot o millage, I'll try you suggestion.

Regards

Marc

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.