A simplified universal differential or single ended phono preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
... as promised.

Latest check before first protos?

Nice sunny sunday to all.

JP

Attachments

• SUDSEPP_THT_V6.pdf
    45.2 KB · Views: 176
  • V6_TOP.png
    V6_TOP.png
    906.7 KB · Views: 918
  • V6_BOT.png
    V6_BOT.png
    849.6 KB · Views: 870
Thanks Scott. Indeed I have seen schematics with the 2sk170 in that position. There is no noise advantage, and you lose a few dB output because the high capacitance loads the capsule? What would you use instead?

Here´s the first schoeps schematic that came up on a google search. It indicates BC264. And here´s the relevant data from a datasheet in german. Much lower capacitance than the K170. Comparable Rauschfaktor at 0,5dB, but the Equivalent Rauschspannung is listed as 40 nV/sqrt(Hz) versus 1dB typical for the K170@1mA.

-Alex

Attachments

• Schoeps~0.gif
    Schoeps~0.gif
    74.8 KB · Views: 800
  • bc264.png
    bc264.png
    359.4 KB · Views: 769
Last edited:
Much lower capacitance than the K170. Comparable Rauschfaktor at 0,5dB, but the Equivalent Rauschspannung is listed as 40 nV/sqrt(Hz) versus 1dB typical for the K170@1mA.

-Alex

These numbers don't really reflect the application. Noise figure re: 1M and spot noise at 10Hz are not indicators of the noise in the microphone application. If the FET's have a reasonably low noise corner the noise of an equivalent resistance of about .7/gm would be the number to use. Selected J305's do remarkably well, my favorite 2SK222 is unfortunately obsolete with rare stashes of NOS parts here and there.

I was told Rode uses SMT versions of the J305 in their mic that achieves 5-7 dBA noise which is not audible in any normal recording environment.

EDIT - Forgot to mention the back plate hole patterns used to tune many capsules have a real acoustical resistance component which often dominates the noise in the important presence region anyway.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.