Platter mat for TD124 turntable. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2004, 05:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Platter mat for TD124 turntable.

I thought that the platter mat on my Thorens TD124 was not particularly good. What better mats can I use. Right now I have placed another flexible rubber mat over the original. However I am not happy with this .
Thanks.
Ashok.
Old 19th March 2004, 06:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you're serious about improving the original you should remove the original top platter competely and make something like a diy Ringmat. You may find Jonathan Noble's writings interesting - he spent a long time fiddling with the mat on his 401 and his results were examplary.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/diy'ing_a_time_machine.htm
Old 19th March 2004, 01:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default DIY mat

A good mat can be made of polyurethane compound, a bit messy but result is worth it. Electrolube UR 5083 makes a good transparent mat
Start with taping the holes in iner and outher platter, use 3M micropore tape. Cover entire platter and central shaft with thin saranwrap as smooth as possible. Cut clean around outher edge and apply microporetape around platter. Let tape protrude 10mm above platter as a barrier. This makes a tight tank to pour the potting compound in. Platter must be level! Allow to cure for 24 hours and YouŽll have agood mat totaly adapted to the platter.
Keep the cat out of the workingarea during this project.
Old 19th March 2004, 02:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Keep the cat out of the workingarea during this project.
A very sensible tip. A cat in the mat can really screw-up the VTA. Otoh, looking at lots of my thrift shop LPs cat-mats seem quite popular.

Hide this!Advertise here!