Considering A Tascam 85-16, Is It Worth It?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I already have a Tascam 3340S that needs some work (mostly deferred maintenance I think, though Track 2 is dead), but I came across this 85-16 on my local Craigslist, and it looks quite compelling.

The seller is asking $650, but I got it down to $450, which includes the unit, at least one NOS tape and at least one used tape. The seller also says it worked prior to being put in climate-controlled storage several years ago, so presumably it would still work after some simple maintenance

The thing is, should I bother? I have the 3340S, which ought to serve my needs for now, but I've read that it has its own issues, so I'd rather not throw money at it if it's only going to be mediocre. The advantage with that, though, is that I already own it.

Thoughts?

c

Nobody?

Well, after giving it some thought and doing some research, I decided to go for the 85-16, which is apparently capable of better sound quality, with lower noise (due to the inclusion of a dbx unit) than my 3340S and, hopefully, more readily usable.

c

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.