Is this TT any good, and what is it worth?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, my gf's dad used to be in the business of selling audio equipment, so he has his old turntable (from the 80s is my guess). He mentioned before that it cost quite a bit back then, especially the cartridge. So I'm curious just what its actually worth now, and if its actually a decent TT.

Its a Sherwood ST-905 "quartz lock linear tracking automated turntable" (that's exactly what it says on it). And the cartridge has "Realistic RX 1500" on it (the cartridge was bought separately).

Anyway, since I've little knowledge of TT (but a bit of vinyl and i'm in need of a better tt), I figured someone around here might have heard of it.

Thanks in advance.

:D SORRY MATE DUNNO NUTHIN 'BOUT THE SHERWOOD TT, BUT OVER HERE[ IN OZ] SHERWOOD HAS BEEN TRADING ON IT'S PAST REPUTATION MOST OF THE STUFF THEY SOLD HERE WAS PRETTY EL CHEAPO TYPE OTOH THE PROJECT BY ALL ACCOUNTS IS A PRETTY GOOD ENTRY LEVEL TT FOR ONE ON A BUDGET... CHEERS AND SO SOLLY FOR THE CAPS [ DIDN'T MEAN TO SHOUT, JUST FORGOT I HAD LEFT THEM ON.... OLD AGE AND SENILITY GO HAND IN HAND OF COURSE A STROKE 16 MTHS AGO HASN'T HELPED EITHER!] T.C. :devilr:

analog_sa said:
There may be other opinions but i believe that in this market segment you'll be better served by a cd player. Even if this means transfering your LPs to CDR.

Yes, but to transfer LP to CDR you still need a decent record player, otherwise it'll sound like the same. I can't see transfering to CDR being any better than listening to the LP itself.

well i don't see the sherwood, i was just wondering if its any good ..
if it was, i'd consider buying it .. if it wasn't, then of course not

same with the pro-ject debut 2 .. i'll get a chance to listen to it of course, but i still want people's opinions on it CONSIDERING the price it costs (under $400 CDN)

what about a thorens td150/td160/td165? I figure I'd be able to get one for $150CDN tops .. would those be better, or better for the money?

something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3085390263&category=48649

If You can get a TD150 for the right money ( would be around 50 us$, in Sweden You get a good one for about 30 $ ) that is the simplest way for a good project but the original arm is useless,(better than the Sherwood).Add Project arm and a cheap Project cartridge (oem Grado in a plastic bag instead of nice giftbox).( Really don´t know if Grados tradition of supplying the cartridge in a brightly coloured piece of innertube for toiletpaper qualifies as giftbox, but the signature models atleast was delivered in a nice aluminium tube with a rubberband keeping the endplates in place.)

so for $300 (after shipping and all) i can get the thorens tt, a new arm, and a new cartridge?
btw, which of the grado ones are you referring to? there's some i can get for $60CDN .. the prestige black .. also, that one i can get locally at the hi-fi shop

btw, the canadian dollar is about the equivalent of the swedish kronor

edit: wait, nevermind, you're talking about the project catridge, gotcha .. i'll inquire how much those two are from the shop next week when i go to listen to the project debut

The Grado sold as Project PJ6 is the Gold retail about 600 skr in a plastic bag but including 25% VAT.
The TD 150 was sold in uncountable numbers and is easily found in fleamarkets here, maybe harder to find in Canada, if hard to find i´ve got several and could check for cheap shiping through our component suppliers/distributors as the have north American
offices

I'm gonna keep an eye out for a thorens on ebay. Almost defnitely won't find one locally, but getting one shipping in canada should be cheap. So, even if its a little overpriced, then it should still be cheaper then getting one from sweden. Although, if I do not find one in a couple weeks or so, i'll definitely take you up on that offer!

P.S. what about the one I posted earlier? The td165? Any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.