Is this TT any good, and what is it worth? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2004, 06:12 AM   #1
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Default Is this TT any good, and what is it worth?

Well, my gf's dad used to be in the business of selling audio equipment, so he has his old turntable (from the 80s is my guess). He mentioned before that it cost quite a bit back then, especially the cartridge. So I'm curious just what its actually worth now, and if its actually a decent TT.

Its a Sherwood ST-905 "quartz lock linear tracking automated turntable" (that's exactly what it says on it). And the cartridge has "Realistic RX 1500" on it (the cartridge was bought separately).

Anyway, since I've little knowledge of TT (but a bit of vinyl and i'm in need of a better tt), I figured someone around here might have heard of it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th March 2004, 07:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

In addition to the above turntable, how about the pro-ject debut 2?
A local hi-fi store is going to receive a shipment of them later on this week/early next week, so I'm going to go to audition them. Any thoughts on them?
Old 17th March 2004, 08:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There may be other opinions but i believe that in this market segment you'll be better served by a cd player. Even if this means transfering your LPs to CDR.
Old 17th March 2004, 08:20 PM   #4
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

SORRY MATE DUNNO NUTHIN 'BOUT THE SHERWOOD TT, BUT OVER HERE[ IN OZ] SHERWOOD HAS BEEN TRADING ON IT'S PAST REPUTATION MOST OF THE STUFF THEY SOLD HERE WAS PRETTY EL CHEAPO TYPE OTOH THE PROJECT BY ALL ACCOUNTS IS A PRETTY GOOD ENTRY LEVEL TT FOR ONE ON A BUDGET... CHEERS AND SO SOLLY FOR THE CAPS [ DIDN'T MEAN TO SHOUT, JUST FORGOT I HAD LEFT THEM ON.... OLD AGE AND SENILITY GO HAND IN HAND OF COURSE A STROKE 16 MTHS AGO HASN'T HELPED EITHER!] T.C.
Old 17th March 2004, 08:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
There may be other opinions but i believe that in this market segment you'll be better served by a cd player. Even if this means transfering your LPs to CDR.

Yes, but to transfer LP to CDR you still need a decent record player, otherwise it'll sound like the same. I can't see transfering to CDR being any better than listening to the LP itself.
Old 17th March 2004, 08:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Better it ain't. But would rather live with the convenience of CD than the annoyance of a Sherwood with a Realistic cart. At least once everything is transfered you'll never again have to see the Sherwood again.
Old 17th March 2004, 08:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Dont bother with the sherwood, buy the Project together with their oem Grado, tremendous value for the money and for the transfer to CD, You can do that from any old crap TT, CDs are only for use in car stereo.
Old 17th March 2004, 08:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

well i don't see the sherwood, i was just wondering if its any good ..
if it was, i'd consider buying it .. if it wasn't, then of course not

same with the pro-ject debut 2 .. i'll get a chance to listen to it of course, but i still want people's opinions on it CONSIDERING the price it costs (under $400 CDN)

what about a thorens td150/td160/td165? I figure I'd be able to get one for $150CDN tops .. would those be better, or better for the money?

something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...category=48649
Old 17th March 2004, 09:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If You can get a TD150 for the right money ( would be around 50 us$, in Sweden You get a good one for about 30 $ ) that is the simplest way for a good project but the original arm is useless,(better than the Sherwood).Add Project arm and a cheap Project cartridge (oem Grado in a plastic bag instead of nice giftbox).( Really dont know if Grados tradition of supplying the cartridge in a brightly coloured piece of innertube for toiletpaper qualifies as giftbox, but the signature models atleast was delivered in a nice aluminium tube with a rubberband keeping the endplates in place.)
Old 17th March 2004, 09:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

How much would a good arm and the cartridge cost?

Hide this!Advertise here!