New Denon TT / Shure Cart / No Sound - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2017, 10:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Denon TT / Shure Cart / No Sound

Hi to all,

I'm hoping for a little bit of help for a friend who is trying to get back into vinyl.

He purchased a really nice Denon table and put a Shure M97 x cartridge in it. He said that he gets no sound out of it, so I brought it home to try out.

When I hooked the turntable up to my Toshiba receiver, I got a low hum and barely audible sound. I took the cartridge headshell and threw it on my Pioneer PL-51 and got the same results.

I checked the four wires going to the cartridge and all the colors line up correctly.

So what gives? Is this a dead short in the clamshell head? It sounds like an ungrounded hum.. like with the turntable isn't grounded to the amp or receiver. In this case, there is no ground wire from the turntable.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Groovz
Old 21st February 2017, 03:26 AM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovz View Post
Is this a dead short in the clamshell head?
Measure across the unconnected cartridge terminals on each channel with an ohmmeter.
The reading should be about 1500 Ohms for each pair, if undamaged.
Old 21st February 2017, 06:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check that the headshell wires are fitted correctly by comparing the layout with a working headshell.
Old 21st February 2017, 07:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovz View Post
It sounds like an ungrounded hum.. like with the turntable isn't grounded to the amp or receiver. In this case, there is no ground wire from the turntable.
You can use a momentary cable that "touches" both: just make contact with the arm base ( if it's metal..!) and amplifier's chassis.

Hide this!Advertise here!