Turntable for club and home use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings all,

All my music is on vinyl, mostly on 7", and im looking for a high quality player to replace my KAM piece of junk. I plan to use it home as well as in bass ridden dancehalls!

Im not worried about the start time/motor torque stuff that djs normally look for in a TT, the one type of player i dont want is one where i have to lift up the platform to change from 33 to 45rpm like on the planar3.

I know very little about TTs but the impression im getting from the forums is that Thorens players are good and not too expensive, could they be used in a club environment? any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

tuathal

re 1200

Cheers Jerry,

I thought thats the reply i was going to get (1200), just thought there might be a better choice sound quality wise.

A reggae sound system operator Jah Shaka (the king of soundsystems) has used a Garrard deck for about 40 years to play out on his many many KW system..apparently the garrard turntable has a great bass response and was the favoured deck of many a soundsystem in the day.

I plan to use a turntable for playing records, not backspinning, scatching, beatmatching etc, so i dont have any need for a 1200, just a player that can handle the vibrations given off by 18" scoops!

Regards

tuathal
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :dodgy: :dodgy:

Attachments

• garrard.jpg
    garrard.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 191
If you are quite sure you don't need any cueing facilities
(belt drives must be kept running, slow start up)

Then try searching E-bay for a Leak 2001 turntable.

Not the last word in hi-fi, but if my memory is correct
it has a critically damped subchassis - would need
to be fitted with a low compliance cartridge <10cu,
for the supension to work properly,
Audio Technica AT110E / AT95E (6cu) is a good choice.

Track at 1.8g at home and more (2.5g?) for club use.

(Its fitted with an Audio Technica arm I
think, which could be usefully upgraded)

:) sreten.

tuathal,

I've never had the priveledge to talk to one of you dub/reggae sound system/dancehall types before! So why is it that you don't need to be able to que the track? Are you folk not fussy about the precise millisecond that the start of the track kicks in?

EC8010, Interesting, I've never heard of that TT before!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
loonatron said:
EC8010, Interesting, I've never heard of that TT before!

The reason may be that production stopped before you were born! However, an awful lot were made, and they are still very popular Hi-Fi turntables, particularly amongst DIY types (I have a 301 and a 401). Rumour has it that there are now more 301 and 401 in Japan than in the UK.

@ loonatron

the reason quite simply is that Jah Shaka and some other Roots Reggae soundsystems only use 1 turntable. the break between tracks gives the people a chance for a breather! that is why a soundsystem 'dj' is called a selector. and there definately is no worries as to the precise milli sec a tune kicks in ,10 secs of hiss and crackle before the tune kicks in is common. by the way i dont run a soundsystem but im looking to set one up over the next while.

Regards,
tuathal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.