Turntable help. Phonos work independently but not together

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have a very strange issue that I noticed the other night. Whilst listening to a new record I noticed some of the vocals missing. I tried the record on another system & the vocals were there.

After going through all my other cables, Listening on headphones & swapping the cartridge I decided it must be a problem with the phono's on the turntable so I replaced them with better quality plugs but....still the same issue.

The strange thing is that if you plug in the channels independently they each sound as they should but when both are plugged in the right channel takes over.

Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If the bass is also missing one relative to the other it is indeed likely that the connections are incorrect (swapped) on one channel. You need to identify which channel is swapped rather than randomly reverse one versus the other, this is because on many magnetic cartridges there is a shield that is connected to one or the other channel's ground return at the cartridge, and reversing that connection might result in hum problems.

I found color code

RED should connect with tip of RCA connector for right chanel

WHITE should connect with tip of RCA connector for left chanel

GREEN should connect with shell of RCA connector for right chanel

BLUE should connect with shell of RCA connector for left chanel

Then each color must be connected to corresponding pin on cartrige

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.