Pioneer PL-550 replacement neon light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought a Pioneer PL-550 turntable from a garage sale a few weeks ago.
It has 2 problems.
1. The strobe light is gone.
2. One channel has no sound.

First problem was due to a burnt neon light (Pioneer part PEL-011). The 2nd problem is likely to be some broken connection somewhere.

I tried to locate a replace neon light but was not able to find any replacement or specs of the parts from Google. There are some so called universal replacement from ebay such as
(ONE) Universal Turntable Replacement NEON Strobe Light Lamp Bulb 120VAC | eBay
However, these neon light works on 120VAC, but the circuit (attached) seems to indicate a lower voltage DC power supply.

Any suggestion to what can be a viable replacement parts of the burnt neon light?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 1.22.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 1.22.59 PM.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 149
Joined 2011
Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> neon light works on 120VAC, but the circuit seems to indicate a lower voltage DC power supply.

120VAC is easy.

I guess "too easy" for Pioneer. Neons do work fine on DC, or on plulsating DC. Here Pioneer gets a signal from "jungle chip" PD1001 to toggle a 2SC1279 from a DC supply to the neon.

This can give a clean crisp light pulse instead of the roundy-pulse of a neon on AC.

There's a 250V cap, but the transistor is rated 160V, but it may not take the full DC, and if it tries there is enough resistance so it breaks-down without harm. The neon starting voltage is over 90V, but clearly under 160V (or it would not light on peaks of 110VAC). It all seems like "plain neon pulse" to me. A no-resistor neon.

Agree NE-2, or whatever fits the mount.

Or to go mod, any LED with maybe 5K 5W in series. Cathode to Q4 Collector.

But there may be other failure.

Attachments

• pchw-1.gif
    pchw-1.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 104
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.