update existing TTs or save pennies for a new setup? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2004, 03:35 AM   #31
g13092 is offline g13092  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Sev & others waiting for an update.

The PL-41 is presently packed away for a move. However, before packing, I established a motor mounting plate & tested out the new pulley, both seem to work well. The maxon motor control seems quite stable & provides plenty of adjustability. I have a 28V supply waiting to feed the maxon controller when I get a new workshop set up. Unfortunately, I never got the old tonearm back on, so I haven't been able to test it some tunes. I'm not so sure I ever want to fit that that pesky tonearm again, as I am still hoping to find a nice Grace 707.

I have all the original motor parts if anyone wants them. According to the fellow I found that worked on these at Pioneer years ago, they do have a tendency to run fast. I still don't get how a synch motor can run faster than the line frequency, but we don't need to rehash this thread from the begining

md
Old 21st July 2004, 01:29 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

I am surprised no one responded to your question about whether the bearing was supposed to be lubricated -- it has been my experience that the lubricant used can have a noticeable affect on speed. And its possible that the turntable was designed to run a little fast -- that way people could use dustbugs or similar record cleaners whose drag can slow down the platter. Also at the time the PL 41 was made, typical tracking weights were higher, and that too would tend to slow things down.

Hide this!Advertise here!