Sonic Frontiers SFP-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SFP-1 schematics MC & MM stages

SFP1_MC_schem.jpg

SFP1_MM_schem.jpg

First you said you don't get enough gain at line level but the SFP-1 is a phono preamp. And now you said you need a "step up on MM". I am really confused. What is it that you're trying to achieve? Can you tell us more about your system or what's in the signal path, what kind of cartridge you're using?

Here you can find the specs and downloadable user manual. I wouldn't change the tubes and should leave them as intended. 12AU7 will give you LESS gain. Assuming you are using a low output MC cartridge, you can try to add a step-up transformer of moderate gain and make sure the MC stage's input impedance stays at 47K. Or you can using a high gain step-up transformer into the MM stage. Or you can use a line preamp with higher gain. Or.... use a different phono preamp!

Specifications
Frequency response: 20 to 20,000Hz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.05% at 1.0V input
Gain: 37dB (MM), 57dB (MC)
Output impedance: 47k ohms (adjusted internally)
Channel separation: >40dB
Tube complement: Sovtek/Mullard 6922, 12AT7A
Dimensions: 480 x 280 x 100mm
Weight: 10kg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is no SUT I am aware of that is compatible with an MM (moving magnet) cartridge. Connecting an MM to a typical MC SUT will present the MM cartridge with something looking a lot like a short to its relatively high source impedance, the transformer gain will not compensate for that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.