DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive

Joined 2004
Paid Member
No new SG4 chip is needed (as far as I am aware). The unit has seen low to moderate use since it was completed six years ago and this problem has only arisen over the past month or so. Both times, I simply flipped the power switch on and the display presented the "FAC" message. So what's likely causing the problem?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ralph:

Thanks for the suggestion! I have a few spare, small momentary switches on hand. I could remove the Up and Down switches and replace them with ones that hang off a short piece of wire and a 22k resistor but, before I do so, it seems reasonable to also ask if my use of an encoder (hidden beneath the ribbon cable) could be contributing to the "FAC" problem.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• SG-4 Top View.jpg
    SG-4 Top View.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 119

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'd check the solder connections on each button with a multimeter- do a continuity check to see that the contacts are open. If they registered as closed even when you don't press the button, the chip will read closed no matter what other controls you have connected.

Hi All
I'm building the SG4 with a Rev-C board which has the I2C header over beside U2.

I want to use a rotary encoder (Bourns PEC11R-4220F-S0012) and I wanted to know if I'm okay to take Vcc and GND for it from the I2C header?

Thanks in advance for your help
Regards
Ian Carson

Reactions: 1 user
I have been looking at adding an LCD and from the initial post it looks like the necessary LCD has to be :1602 i2c PCF8574A

I have not seen how to specify the PCF8574A chip - most options list options for 0x27(PCF8574) , 0x38(PCF8574A) , 0x3F(PCF8574AT) and reference the address to be set by the chip. Clearly people have been able to buy the correct screen but it is not obvious to me how to make sure you get the correct screen and not risk random chance.

tia..dB

I am having no joy with the LCD screen. I have tried 3 different screens and all I get is the top row of squares. I have checked continuity of the leads and rechecked the solder joints several times.

Also checked voltage and it is 5.08v

This doesn't seem like it should be difficult but something is clearly not working.

Open to try anything should anyone have ideas. Thx.. dB