Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor Drive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfcooke View Post
Not a dumb question at all, the easiest way would simply be to add a socket for the display, and maybe either use pb switches with longer shafts, or, as you say, mount the pb switches remotely.
The display footprint is DIP16, so it could be raised up with a socket or a ribbon cable with IDC connectors could be used to mount it remotely. All of the buttons can be replaced with panel mounted versions, they are all SPST. The 33/45 switch needs to be a toggle switch, UP/DN/Stby need to be momentary.

The output pins are also on 0.100" centers so a header and cable could be used between the generator and the amps.
Old 17th October 2016, 05:09 PM   #12
bfg4wd is offline bfg4wd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default micros

Pyramid,

Thanks so much for your efforts.

To All,
The chips have been ordered, there have been questions about cost, I'm not doing this for profit. So far my investment is $6.04 ea. I will look into shipping options next. Also we have an offer from ralpfofcooke to handle distributing in the U.K.

You can P.M. me here, or email trotzted at gmail.
When we have a total cost the preferred method of payment will be paypal.

Regards,
Ted
Old 17th October 2016, 05:34 PM   #13
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

I will add your info to the OP of this thread.
Old 17th October 2016, 06:02 PM   #14
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=bfg4wd
........ Also we have an offer from ralpfofcooke to handle distributing in the U.K.

Regards,
Ted[/QUOTE]

Just to correct a couple of points, my a/c is ralphfcooke, and I'm happy to act as distributor for Europe and UK.

Last edited by ralphfcooke; 17th October 2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 18th October 2016, 08:08 PM   #15
rif is offline rif  United States
Neither a cowbow nor dog owner
diyAudio Member

If anyone finds a nice enclosure, please post a link. I know ebay has tons of them, much nicer than the typical hammond plastic or metal.
Old 19th October 2016, 04:36 PM   #16
HankF is offline HankF  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought a used Wilson Benesch Circle turntable a couple of years ago. I read on a forum that it uses a Papbst motor, so I assume it is a 2 or 3 phase AC motor. I assume this sinewave generator and a small power amp drive the motor at much more stable rotation than stock?
Old 19th October 2016, 05:13 PM   #17
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Hank,
First of all I would have a look under the turntable at the motor. If it's a Papst them the rotor is on the outside and is 3 phase. Any info you can read from the motor case will help determine exactly what you need.

I know it's a bit of a drag, but reading through the thread:-

Optimally driving a (VPI) synchronous turntable motor

will hopefully provide all the info you need

Good Luck
Old 26th October 2016, 06:06 PM   #18
HankF is offline HankF  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks - I haven't looked at it as it's in a housing that seems glued down. In this WB manufacturing video you can see the motor at 4:06:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXNXJD5F0r4
I did read most of your linked thread.
Old 28th October 2016, 05:09 PM   #19
twystd is offline twystd  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi all, Just now aware of this thread. I'm all in on the generator, this is really great. Thanks to everyone for this, especially Pyramid. It must have been a lot of work, and a very generous thing to do. I have PMed bfg4wd about the UP. Now I'm looking into the board. I don't have any problem ordering 3 boards, however if someone out there has already ordered 3 and only needs 1, I'm interested in buying and helping with the costs. If not I'll buy 3, and offer the other 2 up for sale on this thread at cost. I'm ordering the parts now from Mouser.

twystd
Old 30th October 2016, 12:49 AM   #20
Frogeye is offline Frogeye  United States
diyAudio Member

PM sent to bfg4wd

DIY 4 Phase Sinewave Generator for Turntable Motor DriveHide this!Advertise here!