the right stylus/cartridge - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2004, 02:31 PM   #31
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Nope, don't know the 101. The 100 was a super arm, but not at all inexpensive; I don't think there's much relationship between them. So I'm useless for helping you decide here.

Peter might argue I'm useless, period, but that's also a matter of opinion
Old 18th March 2004, 06:40 AM   #32
ktigerb is offline ktigerb  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Ashok

I've seen pics of what I believe was the EPA 101S which is derived from the EPA 100 mounted on a SP15 late vintage TT it was the same arm only black , I seem to have lost the pic and can't remember where I saw it. Ther is also an EPA 100C an EPA 110 and a EPA 102 . Do you have a pic ?
regards
keitb birss
Old 18th March 2004, 07:05 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I used one of these for years with several Dynavector Diamonds
I have no idea what is a Dynavector Diamond. In all honesty i have only used the EPA500 with a few MC carts and a Goldring MM. The MCs were probably not a match made in heaven as the arm came with a very light tube (H), but even the Goldring was robbed of its customary bass power. The EPA500 is clearly comrpomised in rigidity by trying to be too clever - on the fly VTA adjustment, replaceable arm-wands, complicated magnetic-damping arrangement.

You really prefer it to an Ittok?!
Old 18th March 2004, 07:09 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default A poor pic.

Hi Keith,
Here is a poor picture.
Note that the arm does not have any antiskate. If it did have it originally I never got the parts. I should have the one page leaflet I got with it.
It did not show any antiskate assembly.
The tank at the back is an oil filled damping device. Looks crude and works well. The only hitch is that oil tends to creep up to all the parts close by and so the unit has to be cleaned off and on. I cleaned it in a hurry for the pic!
The sound off this arm is quite good. The cartridge in the picture is a Shure M95ED. But I use others mostly. The turntable is a Thorens TD124AB.
Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tonearm copy.jpg (12.0 KB, 251 views)
Old 18th March 2004, 07:27 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Hi Ashok

Nope you got me stumped although I have seen something similar but can't think where. I dont find it on Backspin's Technics page either , he lists most of there stuff. (list supplied by ex Technics Design Engineer)

I'll look again I found the one I mentioned on either google or altavista.
NB I see the recommended load impedance for the AT3200 is 4K7 ohms and output is 2mv as apposed to the AT30 which is 47K and same output.

have fun
Old 18th March 2004, 12:27 PM   #36
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa

I have no idea what is a Dynavector Diamond. In all honesty i have only used the EPA500 with a few MC carts and a Goldring MM. The MCs were probably not a match made in heaven as the arm came with a very light tube (H), but even the Goldring was robbed of its customary bass power. The EPA500 is clearly comrpomised in rigidity by trying to be too clever - on the fly VTA adjustment, replaceable arm-wands, complicated magnetic-damping arrangement.

You really prefer it to an Ittok?!
Yes, I really do. Using the wrong wand with the wrong cartridge could indeed leave a bad impression! The light tube was better for cartridges like the old ADC, very high compliance and lowish mass. I don't have experience with any of the Goldrings, but I used the medium mass arm wand (can't remember the letter) with the Technics MMs and the S-shaped wand with the Dynavectors. Bass power was NOT a problem, I can assure you.

FWIW, the Diamond was Dynavector's top of the line for many years.
Old 18th March 2004, 01:53 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Shure M95HE on EPA and...

I also have a Hitachi HT-561 direct drive turntable with a fairly good arm. If find a similar arm pivot on other Jap turntables of the time including Technics.

The M95HE on the Hitachi sounds good but the same cartridge on the EPA-101S sounds even better. Better spacing between instruments and a feeling of more solidity of the image. But the EPA has some fluid damping like I mentioned earlier.
Could that be due to the damping ?
I will put up a pic of the Hitachi arm tomorrow.

The Technics 270 cartridge sounds better than the M95HE. It is closer to the V-15.

Ashok.
Old 19th March 2004, 05:40 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Hi Ashok

I found some site ex Japan with specs for a whole batch of EPA type arms ,none of which I've heard off. most likely belong to the "AIE only" group .(available in Asia only). It lists among others the 101S , have a look at http://www.mcc.sst.ne.jp/~yosh/armdata.htm

regards
Old 2nd April 2005, 09:24 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default VN35MR

This was Shure's latest stylus for the V15 III. It is microridge, just like the one used in the V15VxMR cartridge, and better than both the elliptical and hyperelliptical styli. I'm listening to it right now - and it sound divive!
Unfortunately, Shure has just stopped producing the V15VxMR. Consequently, to save on materials so they can keep producing replacement styli for this cartridge, they have also discontinued the replacement stylus for the V15III. They have supported it for 30 years, so we can't really complain...
A "NOS" VN35MR might be 6 months old, as opposed to 25 years old, for an elliptical stylus....
Try to find one on the net fast and you won't regret it!

Hide this!Advertise here!