TT help needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, i've been trying for awhile now, but man, i don't think i can deal with this TT.

i haven't even gotten to hear anything out of it. it's supposed to be a unused, project 6.1 TT, but it didn't come with a cartridge (so i got one) but it's also missing one copper lead.

also, once i mount the cartridge on the "headshell," there's not little side piece to lift the arm up and down, so i'd hafta just lift the whole arm all the time.

i'm a total noob here.

maybe i should trade it for something simpler and less "audiophile" (or demanding as i put it:D )

any suggestions would be great:)

hey, thanks,
ok, at the end of the wires, where you attach the cartridge, i'm missing a copper connector.

the retail place i bought it from won't return it and has been very curt with me.

there's no handle on the headshell i think, i'll try and send you some pics.

and i think it's a project arm.

if you wouldn't mind pm'ing me your email, i'd send them

thanks!

Project 6.1 help

The 6.1 has been recieved favourably by the press and the public. The biggest nit pick is the cheezy feeling of the arm lift. But it is quite a good table if you believe the reviews.

I never use a finger lift. I don't have one on any of my four turntables. I've even cut them off if they were part of the headshell or tonearm.

The missing lead is a little tougher. Is the missing tonearm lead a single piece all the way back to the base of the tonearm or is it a short piece of wire less than 2" long? If the later, then something can easily be done. Else a tonearm rewire may be in order (at least for the single lead).

Depending on what you had paid for the turntable, it definitely could be worth having a tech fix it for you and set it up (if a local dealer selling turntables is available). If not, prhaps the seller could fix it for you.

Please do not give up. Have a look herefor tonearm and 6.1 mods:

http://cognitivevent.com/av_tt.html#tonearm

Nanook

nanook of the north!
good song by zappa, great movie!

well, i'm just a college kid that picked it up in pretty great condition for cheap.

here's my setup:

Project 6.1 ->mcm phono stage->Antique sound lab wave line preamp -> asl monoblock wave 8's ->wharfedale diamond 7.2's

i'm living in a college dorm, and i realize that what i need is a great sounding tt without any hassle.
it seems like this is gonna provide me with hassle.

i want a tt that i can just get the cartridge on, and not hafta worry about and play my records.

so maybe i should sell or trade this?

thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated!

trade or sell?

Ok, why?

It is not any more hassle than anything else. Any analog shop could help. If it was that cheap, spend a couple of 'merican bux. Small add on finger lifts are very inexpensive. Most techs probably have a bunch in their tool boxes.

As for the cartridge lead , if you are not comfortable doing any work, again have a tech do it. I'm sure for a relatively small amount of cash, a turntable tech could have it all up and running for $50 USD (I'm only guessing, but 1 or 2 cartridge clips, a little tonearm wire, or premade cartridge lead, and perhaps an hour to do it, including a quick and dirty setup).

Remember the Pro-ject 6.1 was $700 USD new in 2000.

and hey "watch out where the huskies go n don't you eat that yellow snow"

Nanook (from the North)

here we are at st alphonzos pancake breakfast, where i stole the margarine!

well, first off, i live in vermont, miles and miles away from any tt tech, or audio tech for that matter. the closest thing i have to an audio shop is radio shack.

i don't have a protractor or anything like that and i feel like maybe this TT is out of my league? and i really don't have much money to spend on it. I don't know how to get the tone arm all properly weighted and everything either.

i went from an automatic denon dp-15 to this, keep in mind the denon came with a premounted cartridge, needed no setup etc.

my project sold for 700? right on:D

plus, i'm really busy with school, so i want something that will take pretty close to no time to get set up and ready to go.

if there was tech around here i'd be all for it, but there's not and i'm clueless:(

dear clueless,

Personally, I have none of the "tools" of turntable setup. Radio Shack sells computer patch cords, the female parallel printer type works, the female receptacles are almost perfect and many have used those for cartridge clips.

If tonearm wire is needed Radio Shack "magnet" wire can be used (it's 32 guage or so and sold in a kit containing 3 spools):

Someone on your school campus or even in the dorm must have a soldering iron and know how to use it. Good protractors and manuals are available on line for free.
I'm sure many would help on this forum or AA (check www.audioasylum.com in the FAQ section).

TAKE THE TIME, it will be worth it.

Nanook

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.