Linn LP12 motor malaise ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2002, 12:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Maxon motor

I am using the same Maxon as vinylsavor for my 100mm high Scheu platter, and it works good, stability is very good, I didn't need to readjust the speed so far. Though my motor housing isn't optimal, it rather exaggerates the motor noise, so at my place, I can hear some of the motor noise. Indeed, you have to put the Maxon motor in a damped hole to prevent it from farting.

Here in Munich, we have tried some cheaper Maxon motors, too, which we bought in surplus shops, but we found them noisier and less stable from speed than those models "officially" recommended in the Verdier tuning articles from Goetz Wilimzig in the Swiss "Hifi-Scene" and also in Sound Practise Magazine. I paid around 60 USD for my Maxon motor, which is the successor of said recommended model.

BTW, the LP12 AC motor should be silent. Otherwise it must be defective. I had an LP12 for many years without any problems.

regards,
Hartmut from Munich
Old 4th April 2002, 09:18 PM   #12
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hartmuth, Thomas & Bernhard,

thanks for your replies.
There seem to be a strong German fraction in the TT league in this forum. Do you guys post in german speaking forums too ?
I personally only know the audiomap forum, and it often seem to be a kind of "kindergarden" to me - I prefer knowledge, humour and manners here period.

Back to the subject:
The bigger one of my Maxon motors seem to be very suitable for a TT motor.
So I need some good advice: I have a platter and a subplatter plus bearings from a Heybrook TT2 and various tonearms (in different shape).
It is probably better to start to build a DIY TT !?
But that would be another thread perhaps.

Noisy Linn LP12 motor: There is a modification which Linn applied. A small steel ball together with a spring in a sealed encasing is pressing the axle against the bearings. This mod - probably intended originally for better running or less noise - is getting out of alignement and is then producing a soft but annoying noise.
I just do not know how to repair it. I did correct it several times in the eighties (when I was working part-time in retail and repair) but I do not remember it correctly.

Klaus

ps: Does Scheu have some parts for the LP12 ?
Old 4th April 2002, 09:38 PM   #13
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Klaus,

forums:
I left them all, lurk there now and then, post almost never. Because of the manners there. Sometimes i get temped to re-join the Joe-Net, particularly when the Aarhus Triode Audition Festival is approaching.

Heybrooks parts:
too ringy for my taste. If you want to use them, please de-ring them but take care to spread the added mass equally; the center of gravity/inertia shall remain on the spindle's centerline.

Linn:
same, see above. Heretic me
I did not know Linn was adding a spring piece somewhere in the bearing, must been after i was Munich's Linn repair/setup man. But i second your unease: any grinding noise coming from the platter bearing is of utter evil. If the motor bearing is concerned, sonics are only slighly affected, but the motor's life time is heavily affected.

Scheu:
ask Hartmut but i presume Scheu has only his own parts. If i would be him, i would not consider to have Linn parts.
Modifying Linn: Still a good way to spoil the own rep and having every other Linn fanatic yapping about "this heretic".
Old 4th April 2002, 10:22 PM   #14
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Bernhard,

the Linn LP12 was clearly the best TT I could get my hands on when I bought it - it still works fine after all those years.
(I must admit that I was in business within a Linn/Naim/British stuff selling company for some years... setting up and all that; good experience though)

I did not put the argument correct: The Linn bearing does not have a counterspring of course (??) and the noise does not come out of the platters bearings. That really would be evil.
No, it is the motor and the sound is not from a vibrating pulley or the like. No problems with the sound so far, but still...

But modifying a Linn ? Why not ? I do not care to lose my reputation, what the heck.
I know, that this item, although good, was by far from beeing perfect. It simply was a brilliant compromise.

The TT2 platter is actually less ringy than the linn platter. But I am not sure about the bearing.

Hartmut,
where do I find the Verdier tuning articles from Goetz Wilimzig in the net ?
I heard the Platine Verdier several times, but only for short. Clearly better than my LP12 but for what cost ?

So you guys emphasize on DC operation anyway ? I was not aware of that, but I must admit that the Digital age is already making me pay less attention to analog affairs.

Klaus

ps: Can you knowledgeable DIY analogue people post some links here for us less experienced?
Old 5th April 2002, 07:41 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Klaus,

I don't participate in other TT related forums. My main interest
is tubes. I've built amplifiers, linestages and one of my specialities
are phono preamps. Oh, yes, there is also a DAC, which I
called the 'CDsavor'. I occasionally participate in german
tube forums.

For TT matters, I rely on the expert advice from Hartmut and
Bernhard.

We're quite lucky here in Munich, having a loose group of
severel audio nuts. Each experienced in different fields
and with different tastes. Occasionally we're called the
Munich Triode Mafia.

Ciao

Thomas
Old 5th April 2002, 09:57 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Klaus,

I am member of http://de.groups.yahoo.com/group/vinyl_lebt/
which is the leading German language vinyl discussion forum, you can have it online or email as you like it.

Scheu doesn't do parts for Linn, only an acrylic platter for Rega.

I have an AC motor, too, it is a Pabst outer rotor 24 volts from a Transrotor turntable in chrome housing, looking quite good and running really silently. With my heavy acrylic platter (10kg), there is little difference between the motors, sonically.

regards,
Hartmut
Old 5th April 2002, 02:20 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

lohk:

It has been my pleasure to meet many of these Munich Triode Mafiosi, and perhaps a word of advice is in order:

If you go to Munich, bring your beer bottle opener and your cigar cutter! And be prepared to breathe a lot of superheated air!

Seriously, I wish my finances were in better shape, I would love to see my Munich friends, they are wonderful guys. And it is truly impressive what happens when you get such a large number of audio-crazies in such a small area, they spur each other on to higher and higher insanity!
Old 5th April 2002, 03:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default motor suggestion

Hello All, after following this thread, I thought of VCR brushless direct drive capstan motors.
You may have to fit a suitable pulley.
These have a frequency generator output so a suitable phase locking speed control could be used (or modified).
Elsewise just give a stable dc speed control voltage.
These run silently, have good speed stability, and are easily available for free from wrecked vcrs.

Maybe this can help you TT types.

Regards, Eric.
Old 6th April 2002, 03:36 AM   #19
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Jeremy,

who needs a beer bottle opener to open a bottle of beer? only wearers of mickey mouse socks and warm-douchers and women-understanders and the like

Nearly anything can open a bottle of beer with more style , e.g. I use the handle of my surgeons scalpel and its oither end will do a fine job to cut Thomas' cigars
Old 26th April 2002, 02:45 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Question Maxxon

Which model numbers are suitable for TT use?

Mozfet

Hide this!Advertise here!