Phono harmonics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I still have a complete set of the old RCA STR series of test records. In setting up my preamp I noticed that, as one might think, for lateral information (L+R) the peaks are more accurately tracked than the valleys. This sets up a particular phase relationship for the (even order at least) distortion components from channel to channel. I was wondering if this contributes to the 'LP' sound (i.e. this would be true for just about anyone). Even the best cartridges that I have owned have way more distortion than almost any preamp that I have measured, hence my experiments with open loop preamps.

A bit of topic, but since you mentioned open-loop phono preamps, here's a frontend concept of one of mine, the particular values originating from my 21V PSU and the stash of 100nF Siemens MKV caps I have.

My other phono project is, incidentally, around an AD797 in inverted mode, with a, let's see, AD711 in the servo ;-)

Attachments

• folded_cascode_frontend.gif
    folded_cascode_frontend.gif
    30 KB · Views: 234
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.