OP-Amp MM RIAA-Phonostage and Sonic Character like Tube-Phonostage, e. g. EAR834

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I basically agree with Koifarm which is why now I only design tube based phono pre-amplifiers, I will admit in one design that I used a DN2540 as the upper device in a mu-follower, but in general if you want this sort of performance you need tubes in the signal chain.
I also so think, therefore the question must be, which OPA provides the sound, which is close as possible to the EAR834. I need not to create a new phono preamp. I want to know this for upgrade already exist phono preamps with appropriate operational amplifiers in the above mentioned topology.

The Musical Fidelity A1 uses a phono stage, which is from sound character very close to the EAR834 (at least from my view), but the topology is very special - go to
Musical Fidelity A1 › Technical
(scroll down a lot)
and post #11 under
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/63629-anyone-know-musical-fidelity-a1-x-amplifier-2.html

Hello everyone

I had the opportunity to realize the MM part of the preamplifier 2012 by Mr D.Self appeared in Elektor and I can say it has a sumptuous sound.

:)

Attachments

• SAM_1996.JPG
    SAM_1996.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 593
  • Self RIAA (Schéma).jpg
    Self RIAA (Schéma).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 574
under
JLTi Phono
I read this:

This Phono Stage is 'slew rate' induced distortion free. In fact, this is one reason why tubes sound so good, they too are slew rate insensitive. Gone is the harshness or in many cases it becomes a flat grayness that robs the music of its natural tonal colours. This new Phono Stage has extraordinary life and dynamics combined with great finesse and transparency, without any exaggerations - truthful and beautiful.
ckeck out also this thread:
JLTi (Just Listen To it) Phono RIAA (formerly Vacuumstate) Schematic wanted

Last edited:
What exactly is "'slew rate' induced distortion"?

If the argument the designer is making is that the input stage is incapable of delivering enough current into the EQ to overcome slew limiting, then that can be easily fixed by increasing the impedance of the EQ circuit (make it higher impedance so it does not require as much current to drive signal through it). That's the same as increasing the values of the resistances in the circuit while decreasing the values of the capacitances (higher capacitance values require more current from the driving signal source).

The simple use of a vacuum tube in no way automatically sidesteps any possibility of slewing. Slew rate problems are as possible with vacuum tubes as they are with transistors.

The statement that "slew rate distortion" is only present in transistor circuits is false.
--

What could be the reason of one using opamps instead of tubes in a phono stage (and in general)? I can imagine only two (+1):

- Fear of high voltage
- Bulky big box
- (Vacuumfobia/siliconephilia as an emotional attitude)

If your aim is top measured parameters, go for opamps. If your aim is musicality, go for tubes. If your aim is something in between, go for transistors or jFETs.

What exactly is "'slew rate' induced distortion"?
--
check out this papers:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5304/866f608e0059f2be525a84d021a92d95266c.pdf
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b3c0/a892a982ebde91f83f228905dac30186f827.pdf
https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linearaudio.net/files/espoo 1976.pdf

What could be the reason of one using opamps instead of tubes in a phono stage (and in general)? I can imagine only two (+1):

- Fear of high voltage
- Bulky big box
- (Vacuumfobia/siliconephilia as an emotional attitude)

If your aim is top measured parameters, go for opamps. If your aim is musicality, go for tubes. If your aim is something in between, go for transistors or jFETs.
Top measured parameters does not mean automatically good sonic results.
The traditional measuring method "THD + N" unfortunately does not say anything about the sound quality standard by listening test.
Otherwise I would not have to start this thread.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.