Tuner PROTON 440

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A buddy gave me a Tuner Proton 440 out of order...the transformer is
out (primary cut! I ve never seen that before:confused: ) is someone has the power supply schems or knows
what are the differents secondary voltage.I ve got 2 yellows 1 white
2 red and 1 black wires on the secondary that's all but not enough
for me!...the schems I think is the same that the NAD 4150 so this one will
be ok too.

If you can help me it will be great;)

Dominic

Bon´soire Dominic
What has happened is that the thermal fuse in the primary winding has blown. Open the transformer and carefully remove protective tape untill You find termal fuse, remove and replace or wirebridge, primary fuse is actually enough protection, if this seems hard, find typenumber on transformer (chinese standard type, cheap spare)

Hi Ingvar

Thanks to try to help me I removed the protective tape but when I test the 2 wires on the primary with an Ohmmeter ...nothing... like it s cut!.I found no information about this transformer on the side it s engraved "FEDERAL" and this number on the top 29-2112-5......8743 I think 8743 is the manufacture date like 1987 week 43 but if you ve got an idea on 29-2112-5 I take :bawling:

thanks a lot

Dominic

Attachments

• transfo.jpg
    transfo.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 267
Hi Dominic
The termal fuse is in there somewhere, conected to two of the wires visible on the lower part of photo.
On the other hand Federal is a Taiwan brand used by many manufacturers so it should be easy to find a spare.
Monday i´ll check this partnumber with my suppliers and report back to You.

Hi, i've got the exact same problem with my proton AM-1 amplifier, i really want to get it working but when i opened the transformer to look for the fuse i wrecked it. The wires are the same colour as oldmarantz's transformer exept i don't have the white one. It also says federal on the side and the number is 29-2131-5*B (datecode 9308).

Does anybody have an idea of what current at what voltages i need to suppy in order to test the rest of the amp? Finding a replacement seems out of the question, at least via the net, can't find any mention of this transformer anywhere and found ony one page briefly mentioning the AM-1.

I would really appriciate some help.

Tryed the fix posted by Ingvar!

It worked fine, the hard part was to dissasembly the core, the first plate anyway.
However it was impossible to get all the plates from the core puzzeld back together after shorting the fuse, and therfor the humming noise from the power supply is a little louder. Unless youre a complete audophile you won't get annoyed.

The fix took aprox. 1 hour.

Good Luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.