DIY reel-to-reel ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So there is no one here that developed a schematic for playback and/or recording EQ?
@gain-wire : What is the exact topic on gearslutz?

Hi rrrremus (hard to count the "r"s)
I was checking back on the threads I've posted and came across this one. Were you looking for a tape eq circuit? If so, I think I have what you are looking for... Let me scan it, it's from an Audio Amateur magazine from 1975. If I recall correctly (I was reading the article last week) the man's name was Richard R Moore, he designed this class a three transistor preamplifier/eq circuit (eq as in correct equalisation curve for NAB and tape speed) for tape heads or Phono cartridges.

I'll let you know as soon as I can scan the article.

Meanwhile cheers and happy new year!:cool:

Thank you toprepairman,
I checked this out on the web and found some pictures. Ineed they seem like beautiful machines. However - and correct me if I am wrong- these seem to be partially based (or even use) on Studer machinery. I think one of the websites selling one said that in their description.

In any case, I wasn't looking to buy one I am making my own. As expensive as that may be. the expenses are spread out over a period of time. The Capstan/flywheel assembly cost me the most up to now, actually it's the only thing that cost me over 25$ so far. All the rest I had.

If anyone can give some old IBM data-tape reels (the old 9 track stuff) that would help me out.

Cheers for the new year, eh

gain-wire

As far as I know (having worked on both of them) there is little connection between Studer/Revox and Preco, other than an arrangement where Preco handled Studer gear trading with the BBC, but I could be wrong.
Studer is mostly Swiss built and Preco was entirely French.
Certainly the mechanisms were quite different, with the Preco using very high quality DC motors all round.
However that is about as much as I know about The Studer/Preco thing so if anyone knows more then I will be further educted.
Regards
Henry

Hello guys. I already build a few EQs on a test board and i obtained quite interesting results. I will fit the EQ with trimmers so i can tweak them to my liking. I am currently drawing the first PCB for the playback amp and i will try to post it here. Please tell me if i missed anything, any feedback is appreciated.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So the few things that i know that are missing here are the muting circuit and the swtichable gain for 9-19cm/s that i plan to fit on the second op-amp.

I tested this circuit and it sounds excellent compared to the original one.
I will now build the recording circuit, so that i can measure the response of the complete circuit.

open reel

Modify one for improved performance, or build one from scratch?

The first is certainly possible, and can be done using most of the modification proceedures laid out on the boards here and elsewhere for the electronics. Mechanical mods are an area where you need some expertise, measuring tools, and an alignment tape. They can be fussy beggars.

To build one from scratch is also possible, but it would take all of the above, lots of money and dedication, time and the ability to fabricate a lot of small high precision parts. If you do it, you would be my diy hero.

However, theres no need to build from scratch. Open reels go for very little money, and can be readily modified, but it is the most expensive of DIY projects (I speak from experience). Pick a Studer or Revox or Tascam as they are still supported from the factory, although parts can be expensive. A MINT Teac, Akai GX, Pioneer RT would be an OK second tier choice.

I can answer more, but what do you want to do in detail?

I have been fooling around with open reels forever. I finnaly got around to building my own transport using components from several dead units which also includes the preamps. In the past I was successful in mating a TEAC 3300 transport with the preamp from a 2300. I needed to use the entire 2300 harness minus the 3 motors in order to make this work. I ended up using switches and relays for the transport and the keypad plus harness from the 2300. I am looking for a simpler approach.

Is there any deck probably a 7 inch that is designed in such a way that the pre is connected to the transport by a single connector which would only require a power supply(ies) to work independently of the transport? Of course there should be NO audio circuits in the transport. If there are then I would need to use the entire harness again.

The various versions of the TEAC 4010 are candidates but again I need to use the entire harness plus the interconnecting cables for the 1st gen. Any ideas? Details please. reeltoreelguy@gmail.com.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.