DIY reel-to-reel ? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2004, 08:31 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Hi Ingvar,
It would be nice if you could post that stuff if you can find it. I was also thinking along the lines of a Pass Ono adapted to NAB but then I'm not an engineer. Another guy,John Fosette up in Alaska bought my Studer A-80 and was going to design new electronics for it but he seems to have disappeared for the most part.

I am not to familiar with the Akai models but I remember they do have good ferrite heads in them. I'll ask around about a schematic.

Added:
Checked and found it available here. 82 pages plus schemtics.

http://www.stereomanuals.com/manuals/akai/akai.htm

Mark
Old 7th March 2004, 09:16 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Thank´s Mark
I do want to put the GX77 in order, its a nice little unit with a simplified copy of the omega drive closed loop layout of the
RS 1500 and really nice cosmetics.
Old 7th March 2004, 09:43 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Now if I could only find one of these in two track 1/4". They did make them but not that many. Most built were multitrack 1" and larger.
http://www.manquen.net/audio/index.php?page=11

Mark
Old 7th March 2004, 09:46 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Ok it has wheels,.. but portable?
Old 13th March 2004, 10:46 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default NAB replay amp

Hi Mark
Sorry for delay. We´ve been repainting our son´s room and the cat made an even bigger mess than usual, while at it we finished his speakers, came out good, and my Wife has gotten me started at tidying up the guestroom. Found NAB schematic, will clean up and mail, also found a nice National semiconductor NAB replay schematic based on fet input and op output, would be simple to change to all discrete. The design paper shows a perfect match to NAB correction. BTW if i get a visa for the cat would You be intersted in taking her on as an exchange student for a year or two?
Old 14th March 2004, 12:22 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Sounds like you've been busy. Would your cat get along with two dogs . I look forword to taking a look at those schematics. Thank for looking for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9461167.jpg (48.8 KB, 511 views)
Old 14th March 2004, 03:31 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Searching my memory bank brings the following information up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Proffesor Keith Johnson, owner and chief engineer of Reference Recordings designed his own tube electronics for tape recorders because he wanted the very best. He may have documentation available - or maybe not.

Let Google do the walking.
Old 14th March 2004, 04:00 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
Have you guys checked this one out:

http://www.manleylabs.com/containerp...apehead99.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manley.jpg (7.0 KB, 510 views)
Old 14th March 2004, 04:26 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Da5id4Vz
I love the vernier knobs on these things.
Anyone who has spent time, lying on the floor trying to align a machine with mangled spectral pots should appreciate this.
Old 16th March 2004, 03:02 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I'm sure they're good BUT.... The very best tube tape preamp I've ever heard is an old Ampex MR70 which was among the last tube units Ampex made. The MR70 electronics has three bands of playback EQ adjustment per speed.

I once mastered a CD at Bob Katz's place in Orlando and he had a pair of these wonderful units which had been modified with higher grade coupling caps and other goodies. I had the lucky chance while there to do a direct A-B comparison to my Nagra Stereo a number of years back... The Technics RS-1500 with the MR70 electronics really trampled the poor little finely tuned Nagra!

Check out this link to Bobs web site! Bob is one of the very best mastering engineers around.

Mark

http://www.digido.com/portal/pmodule...r_page_id=108/

Hide this!Advertise here!