DIY reel-to-reel ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2002, 12:54 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Building new transport from a scratch would be definitely waste of time and money these days. However, modifying existing one would be pretty interesting. Tandberg and Studer made really good ones.
Old 28th April 2002, 01:27 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
For me those machines have mostly sentimental attachment, reminders of days gone by. Three units I have just sit somwhere in a corner collecting dust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tap.jpg (47.4 KB, 1474 views)
Old 4th December 2003, 07:24 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

If i can find a good pre-owned open reel taoe deck, would it be a good idea to have this restored? Are large format open reel tapes still avaiilable? I am informed these are the ultimate in analogue sonics, head and shoulders above the best turntables and LPs. I can understand why this format is used to record studio and lve perforamnces and that most CD transfers and remixes are done using multi-track open reel masters Are there prerecorded open reels out there?
Old 4th December 2003, 02:17 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Try One First.........

"I've never owned or even used an open reel which is why i am extremely interested in building my own. I (from what I see) sense its nothing more than an accurate motor to spin the reel, and the head to read the signal from the tape. Also the circuitry behind the system to output the sound. Of course it's more complicated than this, but the general outline."

You are essentially correct, but there are a whole bunch of things in the details.
The mechanics can need to be relatively complicated and must be precise.
There are all sorts of tricks in the play and record amplifiers, and in the record oscillator circuits Nakamichi had complex amplitude and phase compensations etc.

You can find decent R-R machines for real cheap if you hunt, and restoring is usually not too hard.
Downsides of R-R is lousy ergonmics and very high tape cost, but they do have a particular sound that can't be obtained any other way.

Eric.
Old 11th December 2003, 06:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have several commercially recorded open reel tapes. The dynamic range is incredible! Nothing else I've ever heard can match it.
Old 12th December 2003, 01:14 AM   #16
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
I have several commercially recorded open reel tapes. The dynamic range is incredible! Nothing else I've ever heard can match it.
Yep...digital recording/replay definitely has a problem there.

Ever heard some tiktiktik on a CD?

That were them gates going into saturation....

Cheers,
Old 27th December 2003, 11:50 PM   #17
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have built a couple of reel-to-reel decks - the electronics only though.

I started with a very dead Tandberg deck (lightning strike I guess). First I built a stereo version of the original transistor electronics (the original was mono, but with stereo heads), but using high quality parts. The sound was very good...

But to make things a bit more interesting I decided to design my own electronics. I have designed playback amps - using tubes The schematic can be seen on my website. I still only have one channel built - a point-to-point wired mess in a cookie tin, but it sounds great, and it's less noisy than the original circuit! I also have a design for recording electronics, but so far only in spice code...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/index.html
Old 7th March 2004, 12:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I've owned a number of high end recorders including a Nagra Stereo and a Studer A-80 and these days for what you can buy a used two track A-80 for its hardly worth building a R to R unless your just looking for a good metal working excercise. Presently I use a Technics RS-1500 which has by far the best transport of all the Japaneese and most other machines. It has the lowest tape skewing rate and screpe flutter of any machine except for the old 3M studio recorders which also used a closed loop transport. Since I have a number of prized master tapes I would love to build a good tube, or SS playback only stage for the 1500 to really upgrade the playback. If anone can reccomend one please let me know....

Mark
Old 7th March 2004, 10:26 AM   #19
mcs is offline mcs  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
Since I have a number of prized master tapes I would love to build a good tube, or SS playback only stage for the 1500 to really upgrade the playback. If anone can reccomend one please let me know....
I can only recommend trying mine. I have no idea if it's better than the original 1500 playback electronics, but it should work fine on that deck also.

By adjusting R9 and R10 you should be able to adjust the high frequency response to suit the heads on your deck.

Here's a direct link: http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Tandberg/index.html

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
Old 7th March 2004, 08:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Playback amp

Hi Mark!
During repair of a Revox A700,(someone poured Cuba Libre in it at a party) i built new record and playback amps.
Used an all fet srpp design ( actually a riaa stage changed for NAB compensation) with passive compensation between stages.
Souded good, utterly quiet, built with 2SK146 matched dual fets, good but maybe getting obsolete. Ill start looking for schematic if Youre interested, long time ago - schematic by pencil on paper.
By the way, have an old Akai GX77 where logic section has gone on strike, have You seen a schematic on that model? Nice smal unit, closed loop capstan, want to to fix it for my son as he is using my Revox G36 portable model, at 21Kg its not that portable and actually to oldfashioned in features as they use it for liverecording and rehearsal stuff.

Hide this!Advertise here!