Nagaoka rolling 152

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again,

a roller only removes surface dust, it can't clean the grooves.

If you use a carbon fibre brush everytime before playing a
record it should be all you need.
(I clean both sides of the record and my rubber mat with
the brush when I only play one side of the record.
I have no problems at all with dust build up on records.)

:) sreten.

I ever clean my LPs with TRITON x-114, alcohol, and water.
When it is dirty I use the roller and it look clean, but when I see it on the light it have marks of this roller, and the dust which is between the furrows does not leave. So I use a pure bristles brush which don´t clean again, so..... I´ll buy a carbon brush and I´ll try it one more time.

Do you use any liquid to clean whith your carbon brush?

Because I only know "the triton x-114" formula.
Do you know any one which musn´t to clean with water after to use it, please?

Thanks again

Roy1xord

I've no recent experience of cleaning bad records, e.g. bought
second-hand from a shop, I used to use some stuff you applied
and then peeled off.
Or dealing with mouldy records - but you can find info on the web.

To maintain my records I don't use any liquid at all, only the
carbon fibre brush, which does get most of the dust out of a
groove - your stylus will clean out the rest (or impact it into
the groove wall - why its important to use the CF brush every
single time before being played).

The only other thing I use occasionally is a stylus brush, I don't
seem to have any problems with deposit build up on my stylus.
(Extended line contact tracking at 2g)

The Nagaoka record cleaner is actually a pretty effective cleaner. It is soft enough to get down into the grooves, and unlike the record brushes touted above, it actually removes dust etc. rather than simply lining it up. And it does it without applying a liquid, which, if it is not completely removed eventually builds up with dust and so on and comes up on your stylus as crud. There is no perfect record cleaner that I have come across.
The answer to your actual question is 'yes'. You clean the roller under water. You can use a little soap -- in fact it will help make sure you don't accumulate oils on the roller, but make very sure you rinse thoroughly.
The thing you need to be careful about is actually the rolling. On a couple of occaisions when I wasn't paying attention, I didn't keep the roller flat, and the sides of the handle scraped the record -- no actual damage, but worrisome enough that I stopped using it.
By the way -- probably not a good idea to clean records on the platter since you have to push down pretty firmly, and that might not be a good thing for the bearing.

The Nagaoka record cleaner is actually a pretty effective cleaner. It is soft enough to get down into the grooves.

I find it unlikely that it gets down to the bit that counts, but
I don't have one so I couldn't definetely say. Pressing a flat
section into the bottom of \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ would need a very
elastic surface. And a fair bit of pressure I'd assume ?

Roy1xord said it left dust in the grooves you could see,
(presumably the bottom) is he not pressing hard enough ?

unlike the record brushes touted above, it actually removes dust etc. rather than simply lining it up.

Most record brushes are useless. Carbon fibre brushes on
the other hand easily get right down into the bottom of the
groove and its not difficult to remove nearly all the dust.

CF bushes major adavantage is that they pick up and move
the extremely small particles of dust. Larger particles are
pushed out of the way by the stylus, its the small particles
that can be permanently impacted into the groove.

I can't see why anyone would disagree with that you
should use a carbon fibre brush everytime before you
play a record, no matter how dust free it appears to be.

My other cleaner is a Ronco Vac-O-Rec ! for the really dusty.

The only bit you need is the carbon fibre bit, the Hunt is a pain
to use (as are all the carbon fibre brushes with "velvet" pads)
and the Decca tends to fall apart.

something like this is perfect and not expensive :
(you swivel the brush to wipe off the dust on the raised section)

They are easy to use on a running record without stretching the
belt (unlike the pad types), just hold it tangentially, the right
pressure is obvious, (you can feel the friction of the fibres pushing
into the grooves), then slide off with a slight sweep as you go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006IVT9/onthewebcom-21/202-2283078-0073464

Attachments

• brush.jpg
    brush.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 255
It is obvious that a cleaner that only cleans the top of the record is of limited use, since it is the grooves where the action is. But having used the Nagaoka for about a year, I can say that it does a pretty good job -- and yes it is very soft, almost viscous -- and I think it actually goes down into the grooves.
I am not eager to make this into a bone of contention, but its odd to me how certain everyone is that this piece of equipment (that they have no experience of) doesn't work. The poor guy simply asked if it could be washed -- which it needs to be since it really does pick up a lot of stuff from the record. Back when I was using one, my records were bought new and so I didn't have to worry about ground in crud at the bottom of the grooves, and so the Nagaoka worked well (and I am not the only one to think so -- it got good reviews). Whether its up to cleaning used records I do not know. I would think that nothing short of a full blown record cleaner is going to be really effective.
And what happens to that line of dust that you sweep off the record with the carbon fiber brush -- doesn't half of it simply get redeposited in the grooves as you swivel sideways and off?

Nat Eddy said:
I am not eager to make this into a bone of contention, but its odd to me how certain everyone is that this piece of equipment (that they have no experience of) doesn't work. The poor guy simply asked if it could be washed -- which it needs to be since it really does pick up a lot of stuff from the record. Back when I was using one, my records were bought new and so I didn't have to worry about ground in crud at the bottom of the grooves, and so the Nagaoka worked well (and I am not the only one to think so -- it got good reviews).

I don't have the roller, and I'm not arguing.
If you read the whole thread :

When it is dirty I use the roller and it look clean, but when I see it on the light it have marks of this roller, and the dust which is between the furrows does not leave. So I use a pure bristles brush which don´t clean again, so.....

The "poor guy" is saying it doesn't work ! Neither does his brush.

Regarding a CF brush, all I can say is get one, they are very cheap.
They are also easy to use every time you play a record and they work.

IMO anyone who thinks a CF brush is not needed is misguided.
And anyone who starts using a carbon fibre brush never stops.

And what happens to that line of dust that you sweep off the record with the carbon fiber brush -- doesn't half of it simply get redeposited in the grooves as you swivel sideways and off?

For virgins yes, they don't have a clue how to use it properly ;)

But you soon get the hang of it, but given you can remove
90% of the dust on a record which appears to be perfectly
clean, completely down to the bottom of the groove, tell me
what else can do this simply and that you'd be prepared to
do before every side of a record you played ?

Well, you seem to have access to more of the original letter than I do -- I didn't know he was complaining about the roller not working effectively, only that he wanted to know if it could be washed. If the roller was dirty, then its pretty obvious why it wasn't effective -- I'm curious if he had problems even when it was clean.
And yes, apparently I am a virgin -- please explain how to use the brush to get all the dust off, rather than simply lining it up and shoving it sideways or flipping the dust into the air -- I haven't managed it.

Nat Eddy said:
please explain how to use the brush to get all the dust off, rather than simply lining it up and shoving it sideways or flipping the dust into the air -- I haven't managed it.

Hmmm...........

Yes the brush does form the dust into a line but in forming
this line most of the dust is lifted clear of the groove, and
a lot of the fine dust gets stuck between the fibres.

just hold it tangentially, the right pressure is obvious, (you can feel the friction of the
fibres pushing into the grooves), then slide off with a slight sweep as you go.

I've just checked the way I do it and it not like the above
may appear to mean.
If the brush is held 8'oclock with the left hand after a few turns
I basically make a sweeping motion natural to my arm length.
You wiggle the brushes holder over the fibres to clean them
and then if necessary repeat the above until satisfied.

I usually do it twice, :) sreten.

I have this roller. Purchased it 15 years ago while browsing in Philadelphia's Stereo Trading Outlet. I really had no use for it at the time - I used to love going to the STO, then, just a congested little second story shop in Jenkintown loaded with used gear, mostly late high-end stuff.

The owner supplement his offering with new gadgets. If I didn't find any gear that interested me (or that I could ju$tify), I often bought one of the latest gadgets.

This Nakaoga cleaning roller was one such gadget.

Anyone who claims (without having used it) that it doesn't get into the grooves obviously has never used one or seen it used by others.

One poster described how soft the roller material is. It reminds me of what egg-white material might feel like if you could somehow fashion a glob of cooked egg-whites into a roller.

In terms of picking up dust and dirt from records, it is every bit as effective as my Nitty Gritty vacuum, and a lot faster with less muss.

It does leave sort of a film that you can see after use - but, if it leaves visible dust, then you really need to clean the roller. I use dishwasher detergent to "wet" the roller, then rinse thoroughly under tap water.

I usually shake or whip the roller to get large water drops to fall off, then, I will generally roll it over a dry but clean dish cloth to make certain all moisture is removed. I does not seem to pick up lint from the cloth - only from records.

I will say that it does nothing to eliminate static from the records - might even impart some static of its own.

I use it in combination with the Nitty Gritty. Nagaoka for the initial cleaning, the Nitty Gritty with cleaning solution to final clean and reduce static.

Try the Nagaoka - you'll like it.

Caruso

actually what he said is that his rolling cleaner does not work when it is dirty,not that it does not work.When dirty,it looses its stickiness so,it needs to be cleaned,and yes it can be cleaned with water.It then gets its stickiness back,till the next time.It really is very soft to go well into the grooves and it is not worse than a carbon fiber or any other brush I know or use,and I have many.It is one of the best cleaners for me,for the last 15 years,although not the only one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.