What do you know about the original Neumann DST Cartridges and their Copies? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2016, 11:54 AM   #1
bulgin is offline bulgin  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default What do you know about the original Neumann DST Cartridges and their Copies?

Are these cartridges 'lusted after' because they are extinct and survivors almost unobtanium? Are the alleged copies such as Lumiere and Tzar in your analogue dreams because of their alleged ethereal performance, not to speak of their cost?

These cartridges - the Neumann originals and their remakes - seemingly by their design, appear to have turned moving coil cartridge design on its head so to speak.

Among their features - this type of cartridge is heavy, their VTF is around 5g (I get squeamish when mc cartridges have to track at 2.5g+), they have extra long cantilevers and their air core? coils appear to be situated close to the stylus - what about tip mass?

I have read about the alleged dramas surrounding the Japanese Lumiere cartridges and the 'romance' of the current 'top of the pops' Tzar cartridges constructed by a clever and highly skilled Russian gentleman in his ice-covered Siberian workshop.

Anyone here care to fill me in and errr...enrich my life with pleasant dreams
Old 14th May 2016, 11:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know that Audio Technica have just launched this AT-ART1000 - Direct Power Stereo Moving Coil Cartridge | Audio-Technica which is a similar principle (coils on the tip). Sadly 4x what I could imagine paying for a cartridge.
Old 14th May 2016, 04:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link, billshurv

Me neither - ain't got this kind of dosh. Only if I sell my wife, dog, car and house.

Regds

bulgin
Old 15th May 2016, 06:55 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The AT looks like a conventional high performance MC to me, and nothing like the DST in the few pictures I have seen. Just a bit too pricey for me at the moment, Bill probably knows what that means.. lol

I think the Tsar cartridges are fascinating, unfortunately I doubt I have anything that would work well with such a cartridge. (Certainly not the arms I use on a daily basis and I doubt the Schick would be the best match either)
Old 15th May 2016, 10:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Looks like I was mistaken. I was able to find some better pictures on AA so I can see what is going on.. Definitely unconventional generator structure.

Check it out here: RE: New AT ART-1000 WOW! - John Elison - Vinyl Asylum
Old 15th May 2016, 10:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
. Just a bit too pricey for me at the moment, Bill probably knows what that means.. lol
Well in your case a bit like the freak brothers 'cartridges in times of no money is better than money in times of no cartridges'
Old 15th May 2016, 11:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Spot on.. lol

This seems to be a good time for exotic phono cartridges.
Old 16th May 2016, 12:36 PM   #8
diyrayk is offline diyrayk  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Neumann DST-62

See post #46.

Inside the cartridge
Old 16th May 2016, 06:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies and links guys

I am tempted to make a little experiment. Now where's my lab coat?

Cheers

bulgin
Old 17th May 2016, 04:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
I know that Audio Technica have just launched this AT-ART1000 - Direct Power Stereo Moving Coil Cartridge | Audio-Technica which is a similar principle (coils on the tip). Sadly 4x what I could imagine paying for a cartridge.

Yes, this is the best way to increase the moved mass of the whole system as high as possible and keep the output as low as possible without the construction beeing similar to a cutter head.

Hide this!Advertise here!