Turntable rumble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently accquired an old PYE turntable off my sister (model EAK1012), and when I tried to play a disc on it, I heard a very low frequency rumbling. I'm assuming this is "rumble" (I'm still unfamiliar with some turntable terminologies).
I did all I could to stabalise the platter (it has two screws to bolt it down), but there was still rumble.
Is there anything that can be done to eliminate it? It's not exactly sublte :(
Could a better cart help out? Rubber feet perhaps?

lordvader,

your PYE's model # should read EEK! 1012, (sorry, couldn't resist :) )
Serious now:
what you probably hear is rumble caused by excessive abrasion in the bearing. The platter bearing is the heart of a turntable and it has to have close tolerances, prevent any unwanted movements, be dead quiet.

You could try to cure this by disassembling, cleaning, re-greasing the bearing. You could put a little trustplate made from teflon or delrin in the bearing bushing, under the spherical end of the shaft. Please try out oils of different viscosities and differernt greases to see whether the rumble disappears. As i consider what you described as a harder case, i recommend to try out powdery graphite or molybdenum disulfide as an additive to grease.
Good luck, and if your tries fail, don't let that discourage you from trying out another turntable.

One thing, disengage all mechanisms for automatic tonearm lift/swivel. Disassemble it, unmount it, discard it!

Did you try completely loosening the two screws? My old AR turntable had two screws which tightly secured the spring mounted inside support for the platter to the case. With those screws tightened, the platter was mechanically coupled to the case, resulting in any external vibrations being transmitted directly to the needle. This caused plenty of rumble and skipping until I figured out that the screws were too tight.

Hello lordvader,
Bernard is correct in his advice regarding cleaning and relubing the platter bearings.
I did all I could to stabalise the platter (it has two screws to bolt it down), but there was still rumble
Also GrantB's advice to look for transit screws.
If my hazy memory serves me correctly, and not to discount your sister's generosity, then this is a very lightweight and cheap plastic base with very lightweight plastic platter, with a ceramic pickup - (you can't polish a turd ! :) ) - if this is so, there is not really a whole lot of future for this old friend, and you would do better to look in Cash Convertors or The Trading Post - You might be surprised at what quality is available at low prices now that just about everybody has CD.

A note to Bernard et al - I have had good success in quieting rumbly platter bearings by cleaning them, making a fine paste of jewellers rouge and running the bearing in this paste, and then clean and relube.
I also used this technique to fine polish my road and track race bike bearings with result that Zeus and Campagnolo wheel bearings ran as smooth as glass.

Regards, Eric.

mrfeedback said:
...snip...
If my hazy memory serves me correctly, and not to discount your sister's generosity, then this is a very lightweight and cheap plastic base with very lightweight plastic platter, with a ceramic pickup - (you can't polish a turd ! :) ) - if this is so, there is not really a whole lot of future for this old friend, and you would do better to look in Cash Convertors or The Trading Post - You might be surprised at what quality is available at low prices now that just about everybody has CD.

...snip...

I think you're right. It's a full integrated receiver, tape deck, turntable thing. The thing weighs less than most textbooks I've used !

I think cash converters sounds like a good idea. There's a few in my area.

Used Turntables

Don't forget to haunt your local weekend markets, you can run across some very good buys. I had a fella try and sell me 3 turntables, all in good knick and good models, a Sony, Technics & Denon, for $20 the other weekend. I did not get them because the last thing I need is another turntable. I will be evicted from the house if I bring any more audio gear in the house without getting rid of some that I have.

Cheers,

Surf, Sun & Sound

Valuable and Attractive.

Doh, and I meant garage sales and flea-markets too - you can find some cool stuff real cheap - especially if you are prepared to fix it yourself.
I think Jason really means to say - "I will be forcefully evicted from the house by 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' if I even dare to think about bringing any more really cool and neat and valuable and attractive and interesting audio gear in the house without getting rid of some of the really cool and neat and valuable and attractive and interesting audio gear that I have already." :D

Regards, Eric.

You are Right & Wrong!!

mrfeedback aka Eric,

You are very right with your expanded paraphrase about my pending eviction papers, fair dinkum.

But I am not Jason, I am Lynn, yes. my gender is male which continues to bamboozle Aussies ever since my arrival in OZ! In reply, I have a brother named Sue!!!(only joking)

Surf, Sun & Sound

Names

Eric,

It is a Welsh name, although I am a septic(you know the meaning of that if you are a true blue digger) of German, Irish and Native American descent.

In defence of my lovely wife, she actually very much enjoys music, but does not quite grasp why I have to collect every piece of audio gear I come across. Also she has a very good ear and can hear subtle differences in gear, tweaks and etc. It is just that when my passion(her first, audio second, must keep my priortes straight) starts to take over the lounge room, she starts to throw down the law.

Cheers,

Surf, Sun & Sound

Hi Lynn, we called mixed bloods here a bitser - bitser this and bitser that. :)
http://www.humour.com.au/slang.html might give you a laugh.
I'm 40something, designed in Denmark, made in Australia, and fix domestic and pro audio for my living.
Mine loves music and has a fine ear and is not afraid to say if or if not a system or tweak does it for her.
Most of all though, she enjoys music for the tunes and the lyrics, and if they are nicely presented she's happy.
She even commented today that she doesn't mind TRIPLE J FM for the content, but can't stand the tonal characteristic - me too !
I find that JJJ has this same shitty sound on both sides of oz. We both agree on a choice of two other fm stations.
So I trust her comments implicitly and usually agree, but I find that some translation of verbal terms is sometimes required.
Her career is social/emotional - different vocabulary and priorities.
But we still enjoy the virtually zero cost cranking hifi that I've dovetailed together and tuned for her - it sings, she sings. :)
When in MY lounge room, she gets a good listen, but she doesn't get any say. :D

Regards from Perth, Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.