Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

dc phono
dc phono
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2016, 01:51 PM   #221
leftovers53 is offline leftovers53  United States
diyAudio Member

wouldnt you know it! I looked in Franks tube database specifically for a 12DJ8 and it wasnt listed so I didnt bother with a Google search..
Old 5th November 2016, 02:21 PM   #222
fdegrove is offline fdegrove  Europe
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Good luck finding any for sale though.
These have always been rare.

8416 is very similar.

Cheers,
Old 5th November 2016, 02:37 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Boy Frank you arent kidding. I just called ESRC and he said he has seen 3 or so of either in the last 10 years!

So I guess Im back to my original question any suggestions for a 12.6 volt filament tube, that can be used in place of 6dj8 without redesigning the circuit or at least much
Old 5th November 2016, 02:50 PM   #224
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

dc phono
You can wire heaters in series, so that two 6.3V heated tubes are used from a 12.6V filament supply. Either AC or DC can work.

If you're using AC heaters, and since 'DJ8 tubes have modest heater current requirements, maybe you can DC-rectify your AC heater supply and regulate down to 6V DC? Then you could use 6DJ8 or one of its equivalents.

--
Old 5th November 2016, 02:57 PM   #225
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

dc phono
You can also take a 15V DC heater supply, use a current regulator set to 600mA (300mA each for 12AX7 at 6V and 6DJ8) and wire the heaters in series (12V DC total). The tubes' heaters will draw their preferred current, which should stabilize the voltage at the proper place (12V DC, or 6V DC for each series heater). This should work well since both the 12AX7 heater wired for 6V and the 6DJ8 heater draw the same current (300mA or thereabouts).

Just a thought.
Old 5th November 2016, 04:44 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Thanks rongon. Wiring them in series is obviously the simplest thing to do.
Old 13th February 2017, 06:47 PM   #227
martinab2 is offline martinab2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to martinab2 Send a message via MSN to martinab2 Send a message via Yahoo to martinab2
Just finished building one of these with a battery powered 2SK170 stage in front for my AT-F7. No fancy components - just stuff I had in my spares box, but it sounds excellent - much prefer it to the rather shouty and forward presentation of my Trichord Dino. It definitely carries a tune well - some tracks even sound as if they are playing faster. Downsides? initially there seems to be less 'punch' and bass extension that the Trichord. I'm ok with that trade off but I suspect that with some decent components and a proper power supply, this could be improved.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:11 PM   #228
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

dc phono
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivetjm View Post
The sound is fluid in the mid with no harsh elements, it is certainly more forgiving than the Cornet2. Bass and timing is easily the best of the bunch. There is an ease of presentation coupled with a bouncy sound and fluidity to the music that I reckon over time will mean this will be my 1st choice ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi Annan View Post
It outperforms phono pres from other galaxies and my friend Jaques Chirac says its the best phono pre he's ever heard bar none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoog View Post
I have built this phono preamp and I must say it seems a definate step up from the VSPS which I built previously.
Lots of praise - I'd like to know if anybody has moved on to something else or are they still liking their phono from this thread ?

And did anybody compare with the other phono that Thorsten helped improve - the EAR 384 - how do these two compare ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

dc phonoHide this!Advertise here!