Sony PS-X4 turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've just bought a Sony PS-X4 turntable but I have some trouble getting it working.
There is a switch at the backside to set the voltage for European or American settings. But I can't manage to switch it from 120V/60Hz to 240V/50Hz. Can anyone help me out?

Is there anyone hat could help me in getting a manual for this turntable?

All help is greatly appreciated.

OK, I did a little work on it an managed to get it functional.
I'm realy new to this stuff, so maybe this is a dumb question:
When the arm has returned to it's "halt" postion the table keeps turning. Is this the way it should be or is there something wrong?
The only way to stop the table is turning it off completly.

Is there any way I could do a pitch correction on this thing? Not that it is needed but it has a stobe-light to see if the rotation-freq is OK. So what if it's not? How would I correct it?

Sony X4

Hi Rho,

I've got a Sony DD TT, the PS-X6 but do not remember the X4 back in the 70s. Clearly, it would have been a step or 2 down from mine. Question:

1) Is is a fully-automatic or semi-automatic? How to tell:
- Fully: will have the ability to bring the arm over to the LP *and* lift it off at the end of the record
- Semi: Will only auto-return. You have to manually place the arm on the LP.

In most cases, fully-automatic operation should shut off the platter when the arm is returned to its rest but most Sony's of that era used electronic controls to start and stop the table.

Semi-automatic TTs usually would start up just as the arm was lifted away from the tonearm rest and would stop when it returns to the rest.

Hopefully, this will help in your diagnosis.

Cheers,

David

It's a semi-automatic. It does not place the needle on the record automaticly.
The button says "reject" so I guess it's only for automatic return.

But it does not stop turning when the arm has returned to it's rest-position.

I've contacted Sony Belguim and they couldn't give me any info about this model. The only thing they could say is that it is a 1977 model.

I think it should stop when the arm has returned.

True, a perusal of the internals should sort it out.

Workout what switches it off, and if there is a position adjustment.

There should also be an end of side adjustment.

If there are no obvious speed adjustments perhaps
it is cleverly built into the speed push buttons, i.e.
try rotating them.

:) sreten.

Weel, it does find the end of the record and the arm does retun to it's rest-position but the table doesn't stop turning. So I think that the "sensing device" for the rest position is defect.

Good thinking, I'll try rotating those buttons. Not that there is someting wrong with the rotation-speed but I guess that if there is a strobe-light to see if the speed is right there should be something to correct it when it's wrong, right?:xeye: ;)

rho,

I have a PS-X7 w/ manual and a a specs booklet for all the '77 models but there is no mention of the 120/240 switch. Sorry. Perhaps the North American versions lack them.

But if you or anybody else wants the specs for their table I can email them a jpeg or two.

Gaucho

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.